But is it art?

I did art GCSE at school, and some of what I did was good, but most of I did was rubbish.

It was 'art', but it wasn't good.

I think we are missing the point here. I think anything creative can be defined as 'art'. However, sometimes people can create ugly things with little effort. Or people can just produce something as disgusting as possible in order to cause controversy, and then class it as 'art' because it provokes conversation and thought.

So does Jeremy Kyle.

But it still takes a gifted genius with a rare talent to produce something which is undoubtedly beautiful.

But it still takes a gifted genius with a rare talent to produce something which is undoubtedly beautiful.

I watched a Tracey Emin interview on BBC4 where she argued that timing and circumstance are massive factors.

If I put forward a messy bed as art it would be boring now, and probably ignored. It was only such a big thing because she made it at the right time to make the largest impact. In that context one artist's messy bed and a second artist's messy bed would be considered in very different ways.

I did art GCSE at school, and some of what I did was good, but most of I did was rubbish.

It was 'art', but it wasn't good.

I think we are missing the point here. I think anything creative can be defined as 'art'. However, sometimes people can create ugly things with little effort. Or people can just produce something as disgusting as possible in order to cause controversy, and then class it as 'art' because it provokes conversation and thought.

So does Jeremy Kyle.

yup, maybe we should be talking about jeremy kyle art versus da vinci art!

no it wouldn't!

Perhaps I overestimate the capacity for logical thought of the average person.

But it seems to me PATENTLY OBVIOUS that in a pile of rubbish, a white canvas with a black border and a date is going to give off a hint or a whiff of art that a pile of potato peelings, discarded newspapers and whatever else might comprise your average pile of rubbish will not.

Perhaps I overestimate the capacity for logical thought of the average person.

But it seems to me PATENTLY OBVIOUS that in a pile of rubbish, a white canvas with a black border and a date is going to give off a hint or a whiff of art that a pile of potato peelings, discarded newspapers and whatever else might comprise your average pile of rubbish will not.

A blank canvas on a pile of rubbish you would assume to be rubbish! Thats logical!

A blank canvas on a pile of rubbish you would assume to be rubbish! Thats logical!

It isn't blank. It has a black border, and is dated. And is a canvas. In my mind, canvas = art.

I really think that if you asked someone to pick out the work of art from the pile of rubbish, a canvas with those characteristics is likely to win out over the other household waste items.

It isn't blank. It has a black border, and is dated. And is a canvas. In my mind, canvas = art.

I really think that if you asked someone to pick out the work of art from the pile of rubbish, a canvas with those characteristics is likely to win out over the other household waste items.

ooooh a border:hihi:

You would think someone gave up trying to paint something. I would probably pick it up and paint over it (well paint it anyway-theres nothing to paint over).

So you would call a fresh canvas art?

ooooh a border:hihi:

You would think someone gave up trying to paint something. I would probably pick it up and paint over it (well paint it anyway-theres nothing to paint over).

So you would call a fresh canvas art?

Canvas = artistic connotations, yes. Moreso than most rubbish.

Archived