Were they ever any gallows in Sheffield?

Fowler

There wasn't a gallows on Wadsley Common, but there was a gibbet. In the early 1780's Nathan Andrews was robbed & murdered by Francis Fearn, who was arrested, tried & hanged in York. His body was then returned to the place of his crime (Wadsley Common), a common practice I am told, placed in the gibbet on the Common, where it remained for 14 years. Charming. lol.

• 1 month later...
Does any one know if there were gallows in sheffield at any time and where they were?

I've tried to find out but to no avail.

yes there were gallows at the bottom of broughton lane near the arena a highway man called broughton was hung there in a cage to gice warning to others he hung there for i think 2yrs

yes there were gallows at the bottom of broughton lane near the arena a highway man called broughton was hung there in a cage to gice warning to others he hung there for i think 2yrs

bit late and it wasnt a gallows it was a gibbet according to previous posts in this thread, and hung there for like 30 years not 2 lol

Archived