Did anyone go to Westways School?

tia1803

http://www.westways.ik.org/

Can't see any reference to when Western Road became Westways School? Still not forgotten Mrs Minshen (?) and Kevan Ellison who gave so much to the school but tragically died so early.

I left Westways about 10 years ago (so a lot later than most of you!) and was in Mrs Minchin's class when she died :( She was a wonderful lady, very sorely missed (as is Kevan Ellison).

I remember fondly the school's production of "Guys and Dolls" that would have been done about ten years ago. I thought many people worked very hard to deliver such an enjoyable production and we often look back at the video recording.

• 2 weeks later...

I left around 1985 and Mr. Ellison was my last teacher there.

I'm actually really saddened to hear he died. How did it happen?

I remember Mr Davenport, Mrs. Brown, Mr. Coldwell, Mrs. Mitchell, Mrs. Beaumont before she left, Mrs. Crookes, Mr. Holden before he left, Mr. Hanson.

Are any of these still around?

I left around 1985 and Mr. Ellison was my last teacher there.

I'm actually really saddened to hear he died. How did it happen?

I remember Mr Davenport, Mrs. Brown, Mr. Coldwell, Mrs. Mitchell, Mrs. Beaumont before she left, Mrs. Crookes, Mr. Holden before he left, Mr. Hanson.

Are any of these still around?

Mr Ellison died from a very aggressive brain tumour. A very moving funeral service was held at St.Thomas's Church and there were many pupils there, many of whom had moved to secondary schools who came to say their fond farewells to a popular and much respected teacher.

Tragic. I called to see him about 10 years ago at the school...he looked exactly the same!

He was very interested and happy to see me 12 years or so after I left. He remembered me and even said he and the staff were talking about a play I was in whilst I was there....Ricky's Christmas Dream Journey...

I also saw Mr. Coldwell there...minus the tash and with grey hair. You did as you were told with Mr. Coldwell (or was is Caldwell?)

Mr. Davenport used to scare the hell out of me. Remember the threat of his 'size 9's' ?

We were in Mr. Holdens last class before he left. He had to resort to whacking us with his hand in front of the class back then!

Anyone remember Miss. Beaumont? She was a right laugh and my first crush I think.....Or was that Mrs. Davies from the primary?...

Miss Beaumont had blonde hair. I think I remember the french teacher...didn't she change her name because she married? I think I recall her having black/dark hair and wearing a lot of make up...could be wrong though.

Nearest I ever lived to Westways was Northfield Rd up until being six. I was carted off to netherthorpe after that but remained at Westways.

Mona Rd. Didn't Mrs. Ogle (right name?) live on there?

Aaaarrgghh just remembered Mrs. Hughs!!!

And was there a Mrs. Salvolski in nursery?

Damned good times. From your previous post I'd have been two years under you (34)

Archived