Crookes valley park speed boat

Yes i know who you mean ..my mum lives on Carr Road :) ..infact i think you may know her boyfriend ..he's lived on Carr road years ..Robert Marshall?

..or maybe not ... im guessing you are a lot younger than him :D

Hi Ms. Tetley.....I lived at 122 Carr Road, left there to move to the Peak District circa 1975/6. I went to St. Marys on South Road. Don't recall a Robert Marshall though.

Chairboy,

Jinky was the more likely. However, 'oor Wullie' down a Hillsborough was no angel either.

It was certainly Johnstone in the incident but he sadly is no longer with us. The "Wullie" you referred to was Henderson who came from Glasgow Rangers so I don't know whether he had anything to do with the former Celtic 'Jinky'?

Hi Ms. Tetley.....I lived at 122 Carr Road, left there to move to the Peak District circa 1975/6. I went to St. Marys on South Road. Don't recall a Robert Marshall though.

He lives near the bottom of the hill ..not sure what number :) ..oh well :D

I remember the bear pit, the tennis courts (where my sister tried to teach me tennis) and of course the long speed boat. Does anyone remember the Salvati family that lived and worked at the restaurant? Went to school with Tina Salvati, also Andrew Cuneo, who's dad was the iced cream magnate and whose vans were always parked at the entrances to the parks......happy days.

Yes I went to school with Tina, did you not go to the 40th reunion at the Place pub in Broomhill 5 years a go?

Yes I went to school with Tina, did you not go to the 40th reunion at the Place pub in Broomhill 5 years a go?

I wasn't aware of any reunion, mind you, living in Cornwall wouldn't have helped! Were you at St. Marys at Walkley or King Ted's?

if you cross the road over to the pondarosa side,go down the steps to where the rock climbing boulder is,you will see a bank,thats the retaining wall for the dam and shows how deep it is

the motor boat was looked after by my neighbour don diago,he died of cancer 2 years ago

• 5 months later...

Remember the girl drowning in the lake sadly. We were in the rowing boats at the time and saw her fall in after trying to climb into another boat. A boy who had the nick name Casanova jumped in to save her but she was struggling too much I think and she got caught on something in the lake and he tried really hard to save her but got grief from her friends for not suceeding poor bloke. We never knew her name but will never forget her sad demise.

Remember the girl drowning in the lake sadly. We were in the rowing boats at the time and saw her fall in after trying to climb into another boat. A boy who had the nick name Casanova jumped in to save her but she was struggling too much I think and she got caught on something in the lake and he tried really hard to save her but got grief from her friends for not suceeding poor bloke. We never knew her name but will never forget her sad demise.

Beverley Wall the name of the drowned girl. She was a pupil at High Storrs School.

The motor boat was indeed called Queen Elizabeth II, and according to my dad's diary it was "launched" in May 1954. I remember it a few years later, when two trips round the lake cost sixpence. The rowing boats were still there in the late 1960s but like the ones in Hillsborough Park, Forge Dam and all (?) the others they were eventually "retired". A pity, but recently it was nice to see some tots having a lot of fun in the paddle boats in Millhouses Park.

• 8 months later...
The motor boat was indeed called Queen Elizabeth II, and according to my dad's diary it was "launched" in May 1954. I remember it a few years later, when two trips round the lake cost sixpence. The rowing boats were still there in the late 1960s but like the ones in Hillsborough Park, Forge Dam and all (?) the others they were eventually "retired". A pity, but recently it was nice to see some tots having a lot of fun in the paddle boats in Millhouses Park.

Do you know of any photos of the motor boat ?:roll: