Crookes valley park speed boat

We used to play on top of a very deep shaft that was in the trees behind the pavilion

It had a grid on it and we used to dare each other to walk across it .its still there but it has been reduced and capped. there was a rumour that there was a tunnel under the road that came out on to the tip at the other side.

Yes there is a tunnel as a kid I have been in the tunnel that joins the shaft, we thought it was an old air raid shelter, my quess is it was something to do with the waterboard a pumping station for the dams maybe, there was an Iron door leading to the entrance on the ponderosa, then it got covered over by the council .

My friends and I had great times in the park, on the rowing boats, speedboat ride, and riding down the grassy banks on the ponderosa on bits of cardboard.

nathanthee

You are describing my childhood! - you didnt go to Crookesmoor School in the early 60's did you?

• 2 weeks later...
Hi docmel, I am 51 now does that answer your question and I lived on Horam Road::)

I used to live on the corner shop just below the school.

You will are about seven years younger than me but you may have known some of the kids I hung around with, Gartons, Winkley, Willis?

Can anyone remember thrashing around the boating lake on the big motor boat. I wonder what became of it ? i think it was called Queen Elizebeth. What about the original wooden rowing boats all painted in bright primary colours....ahhh happy days.

the park keeper that lived in the house overlooking the lake drove the boat his name was frank, I was working on the bowling green at that time

I,m pretty sure the winkleys lived next door to me, and emigrated to Australia,

was your shop on the site before YEB or on corner of Horam Road?:)

Yes - the Winkleys emigrated to Oz and Andrew, the son, who was a mate of mine, occasionally contributes on this thread. We have exchanged a couple of PM's

The shop was on the corner of Albion St and Addy St/Crookesmoor Rd just below the YEB substation.

Stunned to find a picture of the old shop here:

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s12902&pos=1&action=zoom&id=15803

Hi Docmel, does andrew live in Tasmania cause I found his name on facebook I posted message but no reply. Awesome photo, I found one of Horam road we lived next to the white painted house and Winkleys lived next door.

Try same website with Horam road as cannot post weblink yet

If you here from Andrew tell him the little kid next door was asking, his Mum was very kind to us kids, I never forgot always came round with a christmas present. Those were the days, best childhood ever. Do you remember the massive Bonfires built with wood from condemend houses?

All the best Nathanthee:)

Nathanthee

You got the wrong Andrew mate! - go back on face book and search for Andrew Winkley again - he lives in Perth -picture of him holding a doll - he came up No 1 on my list - he has Myers Grove down as his school so that sort of gives the game away!

I seen all the pics of our old neigbourhood - Bannion Street - Ashberry Rd - Addy Street etc - temptation to spend far too much time on that site!

Funnily enough I was chatting to the Mrs on bonfire night about the old bonfire nights - she is from the country so cannot believe we used to risk life and limb climbing into the old houses ripping out doors, floorboards etc.

Also making a guy and standing outside the Ashberry Pub with it asking for money! - and then going to Joes newsagents just below the Ashberry and buying penny bangers from a wooden tray while he stood there with a fag hanging from his lips! - Closer to the big day we always managed to scrounge an old settee and chairs and we had to stand guard by the fire to stop other kids doing a raid and nicking the wood!

...but happy happy days