Air pistols & guns. Time for them to be licensed?

Should you have a licence?  

162 members have voted

1. 1. Should you have a licence?

• Yes, all air rifles and pistols should be licensed
    • No, air weapons should be available without a licence
    • I'm unsure

If they are in a public place (other than a gun shop or range of course) and the gun is not in a bag or container then they are using them illegally! ie. if you spot them there is a 99% chance they are already breaking the law unless you are trespassing.

Exactly. And that's entirely the point. But some feel that licensing / banning these rifles or pistols will immediately see the problem use of these guns disappear. Of course it will not and the evidence for that is for all to see.

And at the moment any potential killer can acquire an already banned and illegal firearm. It's naive to think this will stop crime. When will people learn that banning / licensing isn't the answer ... the answer is to properly and wholly rigorously enforce the existing laws and not let chavs etc .. off the hook.

And, just for your information, air rifles perform important pest control functions and I'd suggest that just because you're unaware of it, doesn't make it illigitimate.

1: ive never said its a solution

2: i know about pest control, i also dont believe killing wild animals should go either but thats a different topic :/

Surely the problem with any form of crime is society and the way that it has degraded. Do we ban or license kitchen knives because they are the number one cause of attacks against the person. Of course not. This, I feel, has more to do with satisfying the personal animosity of a few.

1: ive never said its a solution

2: i know about pest control, i also dont believe killing wild animals should go either but thats a different topic :/

If it's not a solution, it shouldn't really be an option (I don't mean to sound flippant, but that's just my thought). I do entirely agree that chavs should not be entitled to such guns. My personal solution is to ban the importation of cheap Chinese guns (the £29.99 - £99.99) variety and that would immediately cut off supply to the chav-like social vandals who terrorise parts of society. I would like to see a £200 minimum tarrif on the cost of a gun, thereby economically focusing ownership on those who genuinely love the sport.

Also, there would be chaos in licensing for all airguns -- it is difficult enough with the present FAC legislation which typically takes 3 months. Can you imagine that multiplied 500 times to take account of the non-FAC rifles? Would people really prefer police resources taken up paper pushing rather than catching the real criminals and gangs on our streets? Food for thought...

Surely the problem with any form of crime is society and the way that it has degraded. Do we ban or license kitchen knives because they are the number one cause of attacks against the person. Of course not. This, I feel, has more to do with satisfying the personal animosity of a few.

thats a weak excuse and you know it

kitchen knives HAVE a bone fide use, air pistols dont really, not in the same league as KITCHEN knives anyway

kitchen knives HAVE a bone fide use, air pistols dont really, not in the same league as KITCHEN knives anyway

And that's a qualitative argument, and you should know that ;) I guess it depends whether a person's life is more valuable than the spuds being chopped up (yes, with respect, your argument is a little silly) because you deem kitchen use a bone fide use.

Target practice for our future potential Olympic athletes is a bone fide use in my book. I also notice that you didn't refer to rifles in that answer.

And that's a qualitative argument, and you should know that ;) I guess it depends whether a person's life is more valuable than the spuds being chopped up (yes, with respect, your argument is a little silly) because you deem kitchen use a bone fide use.

Target practice for our future potential Olympic athletes is a bone fide use in my book. I also notice that you didn't refer to rifles in that answer.

cos im fed up of typing both, maybe i shouldve said air weapons

why do people keep bring up olympic training in this debate??? as weve all stated who are against, people could still train / practice / learn at PROPER gun clubs

cos im fed up of typing both, maybe i shouldve said air weapons

why do people keep bring up olympic training in this debate??? as weve all stated who are against, people could still train / practice / learn at PROPER gun clubs

And how many "proper" clubs are there out there?

It also neglects to reflect the important contribution air rifles make to pest control in a great many areas.

Thats a weak excuse as well, you'd lisence something because you don't need it:suspect: You don't need a base ball bat either. Lisencing will just cut the sport off. How many people start shooting when they join a club? I started in my back garden, whilst being watched by my parents with a suitable back stop. I have now joined a club and shoot .22RF. I also take my air rifle so competitions around my area and can travel all over the country to meet people and have a good time. Would you want to cut that off from everyone?

Thats a weak excuse as well, you'd lisence something because you don't need it:suspect: You don't need a base ball bat either. Lisencing will just cut the sport off. How many people start shooting when they join a club? I started in my back garden, whilst being watched by my parents with a suitable back stop. I have now joined a club and shoot .22RF. I also take my air rifle so competitions around my area and can travel all over the country to meet people and have a good time. Would you want to cut that off from everyone?

Good points Tom14. One of the great things about air rifles is that you can start at home. I used to practise in my parent's attic and later when I wanted to compete , joined a club.

Archived