Air pistols & guns. Time for them to be licensed?

Should you have a licence?  

162 members have voted

1. 1. Should you have a licence?

• Yes, all air rifles and pistols should be licensed
    • No, air weapons should be available without a licence
    • I'm unsure

halibut you got any more pro airgunners in your pockets, empty em this instant

Errrrr.......no, actually! ( And I do find it worrying to be agreeing with Dungbeetle again - maybe I'm drifting to the right.....God, no anything but that....)

Tony G;- "What's the problem...?" Well for a start it is pointless. Sounds simple? Well that's just the way it is I'm affraid. If you are reponsible, then you don't need licencing. If there is licencing, the scum who don't use air guns or other guns responsibly & within the law now, so why should they want to bother licencing air guns in their possession, should they become licenced?

They don't abide by the law now, so why should they do so in the future?

If they were licenced, who do you think would abide by the licencing laws? Only the law abiding folk like us, that's who. That's if we wanted to continue with the sport that is.

Just because something has to be licenced, doesn't mean that everyone will licence whatever it is that is supposed to be licenced.

Take this latest horrific incident in Liverpool. It wasn't an air gun, I know, but the situation is the same;-

1, Illegal gun.

2, Gun illegally used because (a) pointed & indeed shot at person or persons (b) used in public © kid was too young to obtain, keep & use the illegal gun.

So why would a yob, hoody, criminal, (call them what you like), go to the trouble of licensing an air gun? They would obtain them illegally, just as they are doing. Handguns are banned, but it hasn't stoped criminals & the like getting hold of them.

Do you see where I'm coming from?

Another thing about licencing air guns is the point that at the moment, no one really knows exactly how many air guns there are in private ownership in this country. There are many, possibly thousands laid up in a loft somewhere from when folk were kids etc.

Firstly, the amount of admin' required by the police to deal with possibly millions of air guns would be prohibitive, both reallistically & cost wise. I believe that this was the police's own opinion when it was suggested that air guns should be licenced under the V.C.R bill.

Secondly, once they are licenced, then they know who has what & then it is likely that the banning of them is just around the corner.

Tony G;- "What's the problem...?" Well for a start it is pointless. Sounds simple? Well that's just the way it is I'm affraid. If you are reponsible, then you don't need licencing. If there is licencing, the scum who don't use air guns or other guns responsibly & within the law now, so why should they want to bother licencing air guns in their possession, should they become licenced?

They don't abide by the law now, so why should they do so in the future?

If they were licenced, who do you think would abide by the licencing laws? Only the law abiding folk like us, that's who. That's if we wanted to continue with the sport that is.

Just because something has to be licenced, doesn't mean that everyone will licence whatever it is that is supposed to be licenced.

Take this latest horrific incident in Liverpool. It wasn't an air gun, I know, but the situation is the same;-

1, Illegal gun.

2, Gun illegally used because (a) pointed & indeed shot at person or persons (b) used in public © kid was too young to obtain, keep & use the illegal gun.

So why would a yob, hoody, criminal, (call them what you like), go to the trouble of licensing an air gun? They would obtain them illegally, just as they are doing. Handguns are banned, but it hasn't stoped criminals & the like getting hold of them.

Do you see where I'm coming from?

Another thing about licencing air guns is the point that at the moment, no one really knows exactly how many air guns there are in private ownership in this country. There are many, possibly thousands laid up in a loft somewhere from when folk were kids etc.

Firstly, the amount of admin' required by the police to deal with possibly millions of air guns would be prohibitive, both reallistically & cost wise. I believe that this was the police's own opinion when it was suggested that air guns should be licenced under the V.C.R bill.

Secondly, once they are licenced, then they know who has what & then it is likely that the banning of them is just around the corner.

Excellent points ...

Archived