Air pistols & guns. Time for them to be licensed?

Should you have a licence?  

162 members have voted

1. 1. Should you have a licence?

• Yes, all air rifles and pistols should be licensed
    • No, air weapons should be available without a licence
    • I'm unsure

If someone wanted to ban watercolour painting (and it has been done in various ways in various countries) I would reply with a similar passion. This is a real and live issue that deserves discussion, but you can't complain if those directly involved respond and show the initiative that the vast majority of the British public seemingly don't have.

hey im not complaining at all

as i said above i just find it odd that 7 people all join on the same day and all vote against licensing air guns and all thier 1st posts are in this thread.....coincidence?

people in favour of air guns / people against more legislation

and ali pasha makes 7

funny that 7 people against airgun licenses all join on the same day??? its ok people its only a bit of fun we cant really ban airguns, no need to get all yer little friends to join and vote

To be honest Mel I'm amazed that there aren't more anti-types howling 'murderers' and insisting that all people who like guns should be castrated and locked away for ever; that's the usual anti-gun stance that eventualy works its way into debate from the do-gooders.

hey im not complaining at all

as i said above i just find it odd that 7 people all join on the same day and all vote against licensing air guns and all thier 1st posts are in this thread.....coincidence?

Perhaps not, but your comments about the pro gun 7 suggest to me that you suspect a fix of some sort. Well to set your mind at rest I was verbally told that this debate was occurring (such is the power of the internet). These discussions are important, polls and accompanying comments are used as raw material by journalists and political researchers. Consequently I make it my business to get involved on this and other issues (don't have time for them all thank the lord , but this one affects me directly). Of course I'm not from Sheffield and don't live in Sheffield but I hope that lack of judgement (its a good town from what I've seen) does not mark me as one of the unclean whose views may not be spoken...:)

Perhaps not, but your comments about the pro gun 7 suggest to me that you suspect a fix of some sort. Well to set your mind at rest I was verbally told that this debate was occurring (such is the power of the internet). These discussions are important, polls and accompanying comments are used as raw material by journalists and political researchers. Consequently

HAHA i was sure it wasnt pure coincidence lol

hmmmmmmm its only a bit of fun dude it doesnt mean we send it to the governemnt to ban em

Melthebell: I note that you have not seen fit to postulate any arguments against my assertions.

I also note that you now seek to infer that the Sheffield Forum is being trolled by pro-airgun enthusiasts: a premise which I consider to be completely specious.

I ask you to debate this with me, and in particular, I would welcome your opinions upon the following points:

1. Given that pistols were banned from public ownership in 1997, why are we now seeing a dramatic increase in the use of illegally held pistols by young, inner-city males?

2. Assuming the Government were to repeal the 1997 Act and allow pistol ownership to properly licensed and strictly vetted individuals, do you think that crime involving the use of illegally held weapons would:

a) decrease

b) increase

c) continue on the current trend?

3. Notwithstanding your answers to 1 and 2, why do you think that airgun licensing would curtail the current problems as you see them, given the overwhelming evidence to the contrary as evidenced by the handgun ban?

I await your answers with interest: put up, or shut up.

Melthebell: I note that you have not seen fit to postulate any arguments against my assertions.

I also note that you now seek to infer that the Sheffield Forum is being trolled by pro-airgun enthusiasts: a premise which I consider to be completely specious.

I ask you to debate this with me, and in particular, I would welcome your opinions upon the following points:

1. Given that pistols were banned from public ownership in 1997, why are we now seeing a dramatic increase in the use of illegally held pistols by young, inner-city males?

2. Assuming the Government were to repeal the 1997 Act and allow pistol ownership to properly licensed and strictly vetted individuals, do you think that crime involving the use of illegally held weapons would:

a) decrease

b) increase

c) continue on the current trend?

3. Notwithstanding your answers to 1 and 2, why do you think that airgun licensing would curtail the current problems as you see them, given the overwhelming evidence to the contrary as evidenced by the handgun ban?

I await your answers with interest: put up, or shut up.

errrrrrrrrrrrrm

1: ive never said its getting trolled, for the 400th time i just thought it odd how 7 people joined today and their first post was in here, i dont think thats happened EVER before on a thread on here?

2: why the **** you picking on me, 19 people voted in favour and most posted their views including the op

3: as ive said, dont get your panties in a twist its only a bit of fun dont panic nobodys going to banish your little toys to history

errrrrrrrrrrrrm

1: ive never said its getting trolled, for the 400th time i just thought it odd how 7 people joined today and their first post was in here, i dont think thats happened EVER before on a thread on here?

2: why the **** you picking on me, 19 people voted in favour and most posted their views including the op

3: as ive said, dont get your panties in a twist its only a bit of fun dont panic nobodys going to banish your little toys to history

Okay, don;t take it personally! But your views to the above points would be good to hear. You see, so often with these things, under scrutiny the arguments for bans etc tend to fall over.

Maybe the topic starter would like to respond instead?

its only a bit of fun dont panic nobodys going to banish your little toys to history

Little toys? I gave you a chance to debate this subject intelligently and this is the best you can come up with?:gag:

If it were simply a matter of enlightening the vast majority of the non-shooting public, I certainly wouldn't have wasted my time today registering and voicing my opinion.

However, the reason why this subject rankles so much, and therefore why you've enjoyed so many unexpected new members is:

A BAN on airguns in Scotland has moved a step closer after the UK government agreed to consider controversial plans to outlaw the weapons north of the Border.

Now you see where we're all coming from...

He said: "You will need a licence and a very good reason to own a gun - for example, being a farmer needing to keep pests down, or being in a gun club where the weapons are kept there. But we're still at a very early stage as far as the precise details are concerned."

Bearing in mind that a large proportion of essential pest control on farmland, golf courses and smallholdings takes place out of hours, at night or early in the morning, perhaps you can understand our concerns over this.

SNP sources claim Straw is keen to see how an airgun ban works in Scotland because he is minded to do the same thing south of the Border.

The time-honoured methodology of testing public compliance to new legislation by trialling it north of the border first: witness the smoking ban, for example.

My concern is that when these new statutes appear on the books, as they surely will, what will be the justification for keeping far more powerful weapons, such as shotguns and rifles in a locked cabinet at home, given that 12 ft lb air rifles are deemed far too dangerous to be kept anywhere other than at a registered club?

Licensing airguns is just the tip of the iceberg, it would seem. :suspect:

**The vB software will not allow me to post a source for the above until I have 5 posts under my belt. Please PM me should you require a link to the Scotland on Sunday article quoted herein, and I'll send a link by return.

I wil first introduce my self

I am the chairman of a local airgun club

A club instrutor FT (field target)

A lisenced coach FT

licencing is a thing that can't work without the will

to make it work the police don't want it and their

political masters can't make a sound bite out of it

We as a country are members of the European union

who in their wisdom introduced the European firearms

pass this enables people free accease across europe

whilst carrying their guns to sporting venues.

Now here comes the but we in this country can't

have one for airguns as they are under the proscribed

limit for a FAC.

The home office state we have no way to administer

the demands that would be placed on us.

We are talking possibly 100 to 200 aplications how do

you think they would deal with the top side of 6,000,000

And to conclude has as allready been stated only the

law abiding abide by the law and we have more than

inough of that allready

Archived