Air pistols & guns. Time for them to be licensed?

Should you have a licence?  

162 members have voted

1. 1. Should you have a licence?

• Yes, all air rifles and pistols should be licensed
    • No, air weapons should be available without a licence
    • I'm unsure

mrteabag is correct; getting a section 1 firearm is, rightly a long winded and involved process. It would be a logistical nightmare to license existing air weapons, but I don't see the problem in registering numbered weapons to a name and address at purchase in the future...... and yes, indentity theft is out there, and crim types would simply use fake ID's etc etc........

BUT....

I don't really believe that hardened crims are bothered about air weapons....

Isn't the ability to anonymously purchase an air weapon which can kill even at the 12ft/lb legal limit the root problem. There are tens of thousands air weapons out there, but surely making it slightly more controlled to purchase them would reduce the impulse type purchase??

artfuldoger.

Re; the "fifty feet from a public highway". There is a bit more to it than just this. See the full regulations on any police force website.

Some folk have recently posted that they agree that licencing would not stop the scrotes & idiots, so can someone please tell me why they should be licensed? What's the point of having them licened?

We have many posts, both for & against, but we don't seem to have any tangeble reasons for licensing them yet.

another question - does anybody know if theres any correlation between air gun use and the desire to use "proper" hand guns?

like 14 - 16 year olds might blap around fields on a plaggy and then later on either legally or illegally ride proper motorbikes / cars?

like, get a taste for it?

To repeat myself.......

So why should shotguns and firearms licensed?? many years ago they were not, then legislation was introduced....... then they were......

An air gun is a weapon, so should be licensed and /or controlled and registered purchase, for I guess, the same reasons firearms and shotguns are. An air weapon is not as lethal as a shotgun or firearm, but some form of control does seem appropriate; its primary (exclusive?) use is to fire pellets which CAN harm and KILL. Guns, I don't think have any other use but to fire..... at what determined by whoever pulls the trigger...

artfuldoger.

Re; the "fifty feet from a public highway". There is a bit more to it than just this. See the full regulations on any police force website.

Some folk have recently posted that they agree that licencing would not stop the scrotes & idiots, so can someone please tell me why they should be licensed? What's the point of having them licened?

We have many posts, both for & against, but we don't seem to have any tangeble reasons for licensing them yet.

as ive said before these rules and regulations are ok on paper but as they stand, a nightmare to police, maybe thats why they arent rigorously enforced?

RE: - the 50 foot rule, if somebodys found shooting in a field, how do the police know they are / were 50 foot from the highway, what if they were closer but tell the police they wernt?

IF (and pros please dont get yer panties in a twist :P) airguns were licensed and effectively banned from outside gun clubs i STILL say it'd be easier to police, ANYBODY (only the scrotes) caught firing out in fields would be then deemed illegal and arrested / firearm taken away. All legal peeps would use gun clubs?

I agree that you shouldn't suffer, but why would the minor inconvenience of acquiring a firearms license make you suffer?

But it isn't a minor inconvenience. Do you know the process of acquiring a firearms licence? Three months typically ... and that's right now. As I said before, multiply that by a thousand and police forces will be deluged by the paperwork and process. Is that what we really want? And does anyone really believe licensing will stop criminality. With respect, no-one has given a clear answer to this point.

as ive said before these rules and regulations are ok on paper but as they stand, a nightmare to police, maybe thats why they arent rigorously enforced?

RE: - the 50 foot rule, if somebodys found shooting in a field, how do the police know they are / were 50 foot from the highway, what if they were closer but tell the police they wernt?

IF (and pros please dont get yer panties in a twist :P) airguns were licensed and effectively banned from outside gun clubs i STILL say it'd be easier to police, ANYBODY (only the scrotes) caught firing out in fields would be then deemed illegal and arrested / firearm taken away. All legal peeps would use gun clubs?

For many the nearest gun club is at least 25 miles away. Regarding the 50 foot rule, 50 feet is not that far ... go ahead and measure it out. If a typical field is 15 acres it is extremely unlikely you would ever want to be subject to the 50 foot rule anywhere if you were shooting rabbits or whatever. BTW, the 50 foot rule is 50 feet to the centre of the highway. Also, footpaths are not classed as highways.

another question - does anybody know if theres any correlation between air gun use and the desire to use "proper" hand guns?

like 14 - 16 year olds might blap around fields on a plaggy and then later on either legally or illegally ride proper motorbikes / cars?

like, get a taste for it?

No ... there is no evidence. Just as there is no correlation between using a kitchen knife to make a sandwich and the desire to go out and stab someone.

i can see artfuls point and i use an air weapon every weekend.

they do need to tighten the rules a little without having to get a fire arms certificate

like register them and keep them locked away in an approved cabinet.

i no it wont stop them being used by fools but it will control the flow of air weapons when they are sold on because you would only be able to sell it on when its been registered with the buyers details

Archived