Air pistols & guns. Time for them to be licensed?

Should you have a licence?  

162 members have voted

1. 1. Should you have a licence?

• Yes, all air rifles and pistols should be licensed
    • No, air weapons should be available without a licence
    • I'm unsure

I agree with Tony; at least show some ID and an address.....Utility bills etc. when purchasing, and have the weapon registered to that address with a serial number on the weapon
I wouldn't have a problem with that, except that it would achieve nothing at the expense of a database which needs to be managed, and would therefore be a waste of national resources. A database with millions of addresses, accessible nationally and linked to all shops, is not a cheap thing to create. Most commercial database software falls over at 10 or 20 thousand entries; millions need special software and servers, and costs big bucks.

(air guns are NOT numbered). And yes, there WILL still be little scrotes using them illegally.......
Most air guns are most definitely serial numbered. I have had many over the years, currently have a collection of a dozen or so varied and interesting types of air weapon, and ALL of them carry factory serial numbers (I just double-checked to be sure!).

I would expect some of the mass-produced third world imports may be produced without numbers.

No data on this as far as I am aware, but there must be few blokes (at least) who have not fired an air pistol at some point in their youth, does this count as practice? I know of no cases of 'hoodies' being arrested or cautioned for engeging in target practice with air weapons (undoubtedly in opublic parks or illeagally on someones land).

No, the sad thing is that it is easy to fire a 'real' pistol or similar. **** the gun, take of the safety and 'Bob's your uncle'. The reason (as I understand it, correct me if I'm wrong) that this poor little lad was shot dead was because the shooter missed he target he was aiming at, i.e. he was a crap shot. Handguns when shot from the back of a bike are really not that accurate.

Does having an airgun want to make me shoot a real gun? Well, yes, I'm interested to see what its like, but the hassle of trying to own one is far too great. But that desire deos not want to make me go out and shoot people and animals in contravention of the law. That's the difference.

This story of the 14 year old buying an airgun is very worrying. This is exactly the sort of thing that needs to be stamped on hard, if you know if it report it otherwise we are acquiesing in a crime.

The problem with any sort of licensing is that it is so complicated that the easy way out is an outright ban. As Dungbeetle pointed out above its easy to make us all seem like gun toting, politically incorrect, misogynist, racist death traps (I'm of course a nice easygoing liberal guy). This is why I and others really want to try to communicate what seems to us perfectly logical arguements.

We can of course introduce some sort of registraiton upon purchase, indeed from October is is mandatory by registered firearms dealers (the only place where one will be abkle to purchase an aigun). I doubt this will impede in any way the rising tide of gun crime, and I have my doubts whether the police will really bother to check that closely.

1: i really dont take in the story of he was a crap shot, as ive said before theres 99.9% of the space around him to "miss in" but no he "missed" in the 0.01% area where the boys neck was????? thats more than coincidence to me tbh.

2: you might not want the hassle of getting a real gun, but if you fancied shooting one and had £50 and knew somebody who knew somebody that knew somebody that could sell you one if your young and stupid you might do it

3: well thats another thing, were just trying to throw ideas around to find a solution, obviously nothings perfect but the police would have to get mor funding to uphold ALL their laws, rules and regulations instead of turning a blind eye.

1: i really dont take in the story of he was a crap shot, as ive said before theres 99.9% of the space around him to "miss in" but no he "missed" in the 0.01% area where the boys neck was????? thats more than coincidence to me tbh.

2: you might not want the hassle of getting a real gun, but if you fancied shooting one and had £50 and knew somebody who knew somebody that knew somebody that could sell you one if your young and stupid you might do it

3: well thats another thing, were just trying to throw ideas around to find a solution, obviously nothings perfect but the police would have to get mor funding to uphold ALL their laws, rules and regulations instead of turning a blind eye.

1. It was a ricochet, apparently, which killed that poor boy.

2. Starting to clutch a bit at straws here.

3. Completely and totally and utterly agree :)

@ Tony: I strongly urge you to contact the police if you think underage teenagers are illegally buying weapons.

that was me that originally said that, and im not 100% sure and i cant get in to whitby to go look.

i think it was ages ago

as ive said before these rules and regulations are ok on paper but as they stand, a nightmare to police, maybe thats why they arent rigorously enforced?

RE: - the 50 foot rule, if somebodys found shooting in a field, how do the police know they are / were 50 foot from the highway, what if they were closer but tell the police they wernt?

As I mentioned in another post, the 50 foot rule is not that clear cut – it states ‘if to do so would cause alarm to a member of the public’. So you can shoot right on the edge of land if it’s not alarming anybody.

If airguns were licensed and effectively banned from outside gun clubs i STILL say it'd be easier to police, ANYBODY (only the scrotes) caught firing out in fields would be then deemed illegal and arrested / firearm taken away. All legal peeps would use gun clubs?
How do you control farm pests from inside a gun club?

This story of the 14 year old buying an airgun is very worrying. This is exactly the sort of thing that needs to be stamped on hard, if you know if it report it otherwise we are acquiesing in a crime.

QUOTE]

So he couldn't have bought it if he needed a license...........

Or am I missing something????

2. Starting to clutch a bit at straws here.

why i think its quite plausable really.

i know kids can be quite stupid and selfish (i was one once :P) and if they had the idea of wanting to shoot one and found the chance to i think they would?

as i said i used to shoot airguns but it never really interested me, it didnt stick to me

looking a tthe folks posting on here its obvious its a lifes passion for some, im just thinking some people may take it to the extremes? and go too far?

like kids nicking cars and maybe dying in crashes? cars are their passion from an early age.

surely its got to be looked at? not simply poo poo'd.

maybe if all people arrested for gun crime are interrigated and asked why they did it, the reasons, where they got an interest etc, and a large database produced, and details made public, cos i know it is of interest to me

QUOTE]

So he couldn't have bought it if he needed a license...........

Or am I missing something????

The law was already being broken -- and if it was being broken I doubt the lack of a licence would have stopped either party.

Archived