Air pistols & guns. Time for them to be licensed?

Should you have a licence?  

162 members have voted

1. 1. Should you have a licence?

• Yes, all air rifles and pistols should be licensed
    • No, air weapons should be available without a licence
    • I'm unsure

It's been a newsflash on Sky just now, following the death of young Rhys Jones, the new Home Secretary has announced a new Amnesty on Guns...not the Air operated ones but the Full Monty Guns.

The last amnesty hardly worked for both guns and knives, did it? Just papering over the cracks and trying to make out the Government has "a cunning plan"!:loopy:

Yes, another knee-jerk to demonstrate to the worried public that the government is doing something.

What's with the sudden big love of the nanny state. Has everyone become a christian democrat?

perhaps we should control and licence pointy knives too?

yeah but theres no real purpose in having air rifles and pistols apart from kids shooting neighbours cats and ducks down the park.

lso i have been robbed at rifle point up here, turned out it was an air rifle bored out to accomadate large chunks of metal....woulda still made a mess if it had hit me, it was fired

i know several people who HAD to buy co2 powered air rifles and pistols.

why?

'cos they stopped them legally owning certain gun types.

what good would a ban or licence be on air pistols.

after all you need a licence to ride a motorbike on the streets or drive a car.i'm sure we all know parents who let kids ride mini bikes on the street. why do we think they'll make them buy an air pistol licence.

there is only one way to control these - zero tolerance.

if the law allows gun clubs to issue licences or whatever is decided is the only law. anyone not within the stautes should get locked up.

Most air pistols, limited by law to 6 foot pounds of muzzle energy but often more like 3 or 4, won’t even pass through a layer of trouser and break the skin. It’ll smart a bit, but that’s about all.

Considering that most air pistols can project a pellet or ball bearing with significantly less energy than a stone from a fisherman’s bait catapult, or thrown by hand, or a golf ball, a cricket ball, or a slap to the back of the head, where do we stop with the nanny-state licensing?

Should kiddies' cap guns be licensed, or water pistols? - that may sound flippant, but many are as realistic-looking as an air pistol.

Fireworks are dangerous – we should ban them.

Radio controlled aircraft are dangerous – ban them.

Cars are dangerous – ban them.

Kids get hurt on pushbikes – ban them.

Kids get hurt playing football – ban all sports.

Does anybody have figures comparing the number of child injuries on pushbikes to air pistols? Or number of toy choking deaths compared to air pistol deaths?

Perhaps we can accept that there are some risks in life, and that kids have accidents with toys from time to time.

i know several people who HAD to buy co2 powered air rifles and pistols.

why?

'cos they stopped them legally owning certain gun types.

what good would a ban or licence be on air pistols.

after all you need a licence to ride a motorbike on the streets or drive a car.i'm sure we all know parents who let kids ride mini bikes on the street. why do we think they'll make them buy an air pistol licence.

there is only one way to control these - zero tolerance.

if the law allows gun clubs to issue licences or whatever is decided is the only law. anyone not within the stautes should get locked up.

well it should be enforced aswell

not just a case of right you need a license from now on, it actually needs enforcing.

Most air pistols, limited by law to 6 foot pounds of muzzle energy but often more like 3 or 4, won’t even pass through a layer of trouser and break the skin. It’ll smart a bit, but that’s about all.

Considering that most air pistols can project a pellet or ball bearing with significantly less energy than a stone from a fisherman’s bait catapult, or thrown by hand, or a golf ball, a cricket ball, or a slap to the back of the head, where do we stop with the nanny-state licensing?

Should kiddies' cap guns be licensed, or water pistols? - that may sound flippant, but many are as realistic-looking as an air pistol.

Fireworks are dangerous – we should ban them.

Radio controlled aircraft are dangerous – ban them.

Cars are dangerous – ban them.

Kids get hurt on pushbikes – ban them.

Kids get hurt playing football – ban all sports.

Does anybody have figures comparing the number of child injuries on pushbikes to air pistols? Or number of toy choking deaths compared to air pistol deaths?

Perhaps we can accept that there are some risks in life, and that kids have accidents with toys from time to time.

who said anything about child accidents?

its more about anti social

its about killing animals for a laugh

and it possibly teaches kids about guns and some i bet end up using the real thing after getting quite handy with air rifles / pistols

yeah but theres no real purpose in having air rifles and pistols apart from kids shooting neighbours cats and ducks down the park.
Actually, there are leagues all over the country for air pistol and air rifle target competitions, and many thousands of youngsters take part in a contructive sport which develops their self-discipline, concentration and competitiveness.

lso i have been robbed at rifle point up here, turned out it was an air rifle bored out to accomadate large chunks of metal....woulda still made a mess if it had hit me, it was fired
If it was messed with as you describe, it wouldn;t have been as effective as if left unmodified.

and it possibly teaches kids about guns and some i bet end up using the real thing after getting quite handy with air rifles / pistols

eating with cutlery teaches people how to use a knife.

peeeing up a wall whilst drunk is also antisocial - how many parents allow their little children to do that before they start boozing.

Why anti-social? There's a very sociable national network of target shooting clubs.

The kids who would shoot animals for a laugh would be the sort who didn’t have licenses anyway.

Responsible parents teach kids how to respect guns and not misuse them - such kids would be the last to have anything to do with gun crime because they would have been positively conditioned not to see fashionable status in being an armed moron.

Archived