Air pistols & guns. Time for them to be licensed?

Should you have a licence?  

162 members have voted

1. 1. Should you have a licence?

• Yes, all air rifles and pistols should be licensed
    • No, air weapons should be available without a licence
    • I'm unsure

That's assuming he put the sale down in the book.

But in essence I'm correct; the system would have merit, irrespective if the trader at his risk (+ suitable prison sentence) chooses to ignore it. Wouldn't have thought it would be 'worth it' to the vendor to take the risk....

But in essence I'm correct; the system would have merit, irrespective if the trader at his risk (+ suitable prison sentence) chooses to ignore it. Wouldn't have thought it would be 'worth it' to the vendor to take the risk....

But the risk is the same now with the existing law, and he choses to break it.

i dont see anything else on here apart from gun lovers poo pooing everybody elses ideas and more importantly NOT coming up with any viable ideas to help instead.

it seems theres no point in discussing it anymore tbh, cos its just going round in circles, nobodys gonna change their ideas, just like every other debate on ehre

That's unfair. I have consistently said -- and others too -- that the existing law needs to be rigorously enforced. Also, you still haven't explained how licensing would stop the chavs ... but I guess it is because you can't because they won't stop.

1. Technically, any gun producing more than 1 joule of energy is classed as a firearm. So that includes most "normal" air rifles which are limited to 12ft/lbs. The difference is that a specific Section 1 certificate is not required on rifles up to 12ft/lbs. The 1 joule rule means that paintballing doesn't get subject to the same rules as "normal" air rifles.

2. They can be modified, but it is not that easy. It requires a degree of expertise and the increase in power is not hugely different. Most rifles these days have anti-tamper devices fitted anyway.

1. Agreed; over 12ft/lb a section 1 firearm ticket required.... very difficult to obtain.

2. Very easy. Spring air rifles just require a stronger spring, which can be freely purchased and are often offered for sale in airgun magazines. You commit the crime by changing the spring, NOT the person who sells the spring. Pneumatic/air reservoir weapons are also easy to adjust, hence most manufacturers offer FAC versions.

1. Agreed; over 12ft/lb a section 1 firearm ticket required.... very difficult to obtain.

2. Very easy. Spring air rifles just require a stronger spring, which can be freely purchased and are often offered for sale in airgun magazines. You commit the crime by changing the spring, NOT the person who sells the spring. Pneumatic/air reservoir weapons are also easy to adjust, hence most manufacturers offer FAC versions.

2. Well, I do think it should be an offence to sell such a spring ... but then how do you define what that spring is I suppose is the next problem (combination of intent for sale and marketing I guess).

The risks of illegally converting are too great ... but those risks are ignored by those who chose to do so.

I have just acquired my FAC too. Going for a Rapid Mk2 @ 34ft/lbs.

Archived