Air pistols & guns. Time for them to be licensed?

Should you have a licence?  

162 members have voted

1. 1. Should you have a licence?

• Yes, all air rifles and pistols should be licensed
    • No, air weapons should be available without a licence
    • I'm unsure

1. Agreed; over 12ft/lb a section 1 firearm ticket required.... very difficult to obtain.

2. Very easy. Spring air rifles just require a stronger spring, which can be freely purchased and are often offered for sale in airgun magazines. You commit the crime by changing the spring, NOT the person who sells the spring. Pneumatic/air reservoir weapons are also easy to adjust, hence most manufacturers offer FAC versions.

true i have a rapid 7 and can udjust the pressure in seconds with a screw driver

if i go onto a field i can shoot at 30 ft/lbs

and adust it back down in seconds with my chronograph

Well, my section1 and shotguns are on a database which remains standing..........
As are mine, but my point is that the existing database is a fraction of size required to register the millions of airguns in circulation, and there would have to be significant expenditure on a new system.

Just checked; correct, air weapons DO carry serial nos., sorry 'bout that.
Thanks for acknowledging that.

I think for clarities sake we ought to differentiate between air guns and firearms; it seems that the key defense of the 'anti license' opinion is that 'gun crime' is not affected, meaning firearm offences really.
Perhaps, though any offence with an airgun is covered by the same legislation whether it’s a 3 ftlb air pistol or an assault rifle.

Is now the time to chuck in how easily air weapons can be modified to be waaaaay more powerful than the 12ft/lb legal maximum???
Yes, indeed they can, and many can be taken to over 30ftlb without too much trouble, thought the Police are pretty switched on at checking muzzle energy, and a 20 or 30ftlb air rifle is still a tiddly thing at the side of a 100ftlb rimfire, 400ftlb revolver or 2000ftlb fullbore rifle. The high power air gun also suffers from the dreadfully poor aerodynamics of the waisted pellet, which causes its energy to roughly halve every 50 yards, so even the most powerful air rifles are still only dangerous at very short ranges.

And for balance, mention the 150ft/lb (YES 150ft/lb) compound crossbows you can legally purchase, sans license!!
Indeed, and as far as I’m aware, there is no legitimate use for them whatsoever – no archery club would let you through the front door with one, and it is illegal to shoot any quarry in the UK with either bow or crossbow.

2. Well, I do think it should be an offence to sell such a spring ... but then how do you define what that spring is I suppose is the next problem (combination of intent for sale and marketing I guess).

The risks of illegally converting are too great ... but those risks are ignored by those who chose to do so.

I have just acquired my FAC too. Going for a Rapid Mk2 @ 34ft/lbs.

The Theoben ?

Regarding springs, the fact remains that they ARE sold via airgun magazines, so the concept of 'self policing' your sport doesn't hold much water. The mags. should not allow these ads.

As are mine, but my point is that the existing database is a fraction of size required to register the millions of airguns in circulation, and there would have to be significant expenditure on a new system.

Thanks for acknowledging that.

Perhaps, though any offence with an airgun is covered by the same legislation whether it’s a 3 ftlb air pistol or an assault rifle.

Yes, indeed they can, and many can be taken to over 30ftlb without too much trouble, thought the Police are pretty switched on at checking muzzle energy, and a 20 or 30ftlb air rifle is still a tiddly thing at the side of a 100ftlb rimfire, 400ftlb revolver or 2000ftlb fullbore rifle. The high power air gun also suffers from the dreadfully poor aerodynamics of the waisted pellet, which causes its energy to roughly halve every 50 yards, so even the most powerful air rifles are still only dangerous at very short ranges.

Indeed, and as far as I’m aware, there is no legitimate use for them whatsoever – no archery club would let you through the front door with one, and it is illegal to shoot any quarry in the UK with either bow or crossbow.

Most shootings take place at VERY short ranges....

The Theoben ?

Regarding springs, the fact remains that they ARE sold via airgun magazines, so the concept of 'self policing' your sport doesn't hold much water. The mags. should not allow these ads.

why ?????

they sell the springs cause its legal if i want to up grade my springer and obtain a licence i can

and not only mags sell the springs most gun shops do too

why ?????

they sell the springs cause its legal if i want to up grade my springer and obtain a licence i can

and not only mags sell the springs most gun shops do too

Upgrade your license....THEN buy the spring! IT SHOULD NOT BE THE OTHER WAY 'ROUND!!

Im sure we can all agree on that.....

" I'd like to buy a shotgun please"

"Do you have a license"

"No, but if you sell me one, I'll apply for one later"

Just register new sales; it's got to start some where.......

i'd gladly register my guns and have someone come round check my cabinet if it meant i could go on enjoying the freedom of my sport

it does have to start somewhere like u say and thats a good start with the new guns

Archived