Air pistols & guns. Time for them to be licensed?

Should you have a licence?  

162 members have voted

1. 1. Should you have a licence?

• Yes, all air rifles and pistols should be licensed
    • No, air weapons should be available without a licence
    • I'm unsure

Section 1 firearm = section 1 FAC

Shotgun = Shotgun certificate

Air rifle = Registered keeper, no license, just details taken at time of purchase.

Darts = Required comb over, beer gut and overly sweaty appearance + cheap bling.

Blowpipe = lip-plate required

Catapult = Must resemble small animated yellow skinned spiky haired child, resident Springfield, for easy ID.

Crossbow = Passing resemblance to Bob Monkhouse a requirement; women owners must appear similar to Annie Ashton.

Bow; Long, recurve, compound = Green tights + saucy green cap with large Eagle feather to be worn at all times while operating said bow.

Big 'Ramboesque' knife = must possess micro penis.

Thermonuclear armageddon = American citizen

and may i ask where dungbeetle comes in on that list?

maybe between micro penis and wearing tights? :P

Shooting is already licenced indirectly through legislation in terms of use and ownership ... restrictions akin to those for driving a vehicle and selling alcohol.

Hardly - you need to complete a driving test to get a driving license. You need to be 17 to get an air weapon. Not exactly in the same league is it?

One question for you: how will licensing stop criminality with guns?

I'm not sure whether it would or not (have you any compelling evidence that it wouldn't?) however I would hope it would stop any stupidity with 'kids' plus air weapons. My own opinion isn't so much from stopping criminality with weapons as to the context I would prefer to see them. I would prefer to see firearms available rather than banned (I enjoyed shooting them and did so competitively) but think that they should be used only where there reasonable cause, i.e. within a club or for hunting on private land where they can be used safely. (As an aside I would also fully support having to show basic firearm safety and safe storage facilities before you can get a license.) If you can't show access to such facilities then there is no reason for you to have such a weapon. I would also personally be in favour of all air pistols and non shotgun firearms to be held on licensed club premises to be shot there or on outings to registered ranges.

but think that they should be used only where there reasonable cause, i.e. within a club or for hunting on private land where they can be used safely.
Would you exclude people being able to plink safely in their own back gardens – the starting route for 99% of youngsters with air guns?

(As an aside I would also fully support having to show basic firearm safety and safe storage facilities before you can get a license.)
That makes sense – or why license in the first place.

I would also personally be in favour of all air pistols and non shotgun firearms to be held on licensed club premises to be shot there or on outings to registered ranges.
So you would restrict the use of 6ftlb air pistols to club premises, not home use? No training in the garden, or in the house? (6 metres is all that’s needed for some pistol disciplines).

Why should the .22 rifle owner have to travel from his farm to a club and back again to cull rabbits when the shotgun owner can keep it in his house? A shot gun will do an awful lot more damage to a person inside a bank or in a Manchester pub than a .22RF could ever do.

A shot gun will do an awful lot more damage to a person inside a bank or in a Manchester pub than a .22RF could ever do.

Close up I'd go for the rimfire. But if my attacker was going to shoot me outside from across the road then I'd go with the shotgun.

Would you exclude people being able to plink safely in their own back gardens – the starting route for 99% of youngsters with air guns?

Ye I would - if they want to plink safely then they can do so at clubs / ranges.

That makes sense – or why license in the first place.

Whooo - we agree on something!

So you would restrict the use of 6ftlb air pistols to club premises, not home use? No training in the garden, or in the house? (6 metres is all that’s needed for some pistol disciplines).

I would yes - beyond competative target shooting I don't actually see any use for a handgun. As far as I'm aware handgun hunting isn't big (if it even exists) in the UK and we don't have the big dangerous game that could be used for carrying a handgun on hikes etc.

Why should the .22 rifle owner have to travel from his farm to a club and back again to cull rabbits when the shotgun owner can keep it in his house? A shot gun will do an awful lot more damage to a person inside a bank or in a Manchester pub than a .22RF could ever do.

Thats probably pretty much from my own lack of experience in the farming world. I assumed that a shotgun would be the weapon of choice for getting rid of vermin? If not I would happily extend my original to cover rimfire longarms. The only use I can see for anything of a larger calibre than about a .22 lr would be in something like deer culling which is so episodic that having a gun stored on club premises for most of the year wouldn't be a major handicap. Basically long arms cause me less concern than handguns as firstly they are a bit more bulky and obvious if you want to carry one down a street or into a pub and secondly they don't appear to have the same bad boy / gangsta cachet of handgun. (Which annoys me no end as major calibre handgun was my favourite discipline!)

Close up I'd go for the rimfire. But if my attacker was going to shoot me outside from across the road then I'd go with the shotgun.
Indeed, unless you have buckshot, OO or solid slug in the shot gun.

But the point remains that there is no logic in the user of a rimfire having to travel to a club to take out a weapon he may need to use daily for pest control, when a far more damaging weapon can be kept at home.

Indeed, unless you have buckshot, OO or solid slug in the shot gun.

But the point remains that there is no logic in the user of a rimfire having to travel to a club to take out a weapon he may need to use daily for pest control, when a far more damaging weapon can be kept at home.

Accepted. I have shot 90 ft/lbs air rifles and they still cannot compete against 22 long rifle for foxes and such. Better to keep these small bore rifles at home.

I have also used 3½ inch magnum OO buck and I certainly wouldnt want those big lumps coming towards me.

Archived