Air pistols & guns. Time for them to be licensed?

Should you have a licence?  

162 members have voted

1. 1. Should you have a licence?

• Yes, all air rifles and pistols should be licensed
    • No, air weapons should be available without a licence
    • I'm unsure

Actually, there are leagues all over the country for air pistol and air rifle target competitions, and many thousands of youngsters take part in a contructive sport which develops their self-discipline, concentration and competitiveness.

what i meant was..........the general public shouldnt be able to go and get hold of em willy nilly just like going to buy a bag of sweets, times have changed i think certain things do need changing too

If it was messed with as you describe, it wouldn;t have been as effective as if left unmodified.

well they left the "object" lodged in our ceiling, it ws enough to penetrate that

Perhaps we can accept that there are some risks in life, and that kids have accidents with toys from time to time.

The main part of your full post I see where you are coming from, but the last line I quote here doesn't.

Of course there are personal risks in life for any child if they follow one pursuit or another, that's how we all learn.

The problem arises when other people's kids cop for the outcome, not the kid inflicting the outcome on other kids. :)

yeah but theres no real purpose in having air rifles and pistols apart from kids shooting neighbours cats and ducks down the park.

lso i have been robbed at rifle point up here, turned out it was an air rifle bored out to accomadate large chunks of metal....woulda still made a mess if it had hit me, it was fired

OK, let's try and imagine how it would work.

At the moment, how many air weapons are there in the UK? How many people enjoy shooting air weapons in the field, hunting rabbits, rats, squirrels magpies pigeons etc, paper punching at the range or simply plinking in their back garden?

Millions of guns, hundreds of thousands of bona fide enthusiasts.

What's your message to them?

ATTENTION BOVINE SUBJECTS - THIS IS THE GOVERNMENT

We're about to ban the unlicenced ownership of air weapons!

Now we don't know if you've got one or not (we really don't, not yet) but if you do own any air weapons be a jolly good sport and hand them all in to your nearest existing gun club (if there are any left), fill out this mountain of paperwork and look forward to driving 60 miles to pop of a few wadcutters. Oh yes, we almost forgot, don't forget to pay the hefty annual licence fee.

Please don't keep your soon-to-be unlicenced air weapons, as they are about to decline sharply in availability and increase sharply in price, and if we see you with one we'll blow your head off instantly, Menezes style.

Furthermore, due to the technical simplicity of building air weapons, all precursor technology will now also be licenced - so if you own a lathe, a diving compressor, a lump of lead or any other 'dual use' weapons technology, you may find yourself extraordinarily rendered to a Libyan toruture cell in short order.

Air weapons include spud guns, soft air guns, PCPs, spring and gas piston guns, The GAT, CO2 guns, blow pipes and pea shooters.

Thank you for your cooperation

The Central Scrutinizer"

Assuming for a split yoctosecond that licencing air weapons is a good idea, how would you get there from here?

so willman and dungy you dont see ANY bad points at all from ANYBODY being able to get, carry and use air rifles / pistols at all?

and dungy im not talking about gun clubs etc..........im talking about anybody from yer local chav outside the corner shop up

Phan, surely you just go and get a licence? It's quite simple and if you don't and you are caught with an air weapon you simply go to prison for a year or more? If you are turned down then that's good for the rest of us.

It's not intrusive, it's not authoritarian, it's not a tough choice.

It's common sense.

and the supposedly reputable gun shop on Ecclesall Road won't be encouraged to have the 'No licence needed for air rifles' sign in the window.

so willman and dungy you dont see ANY bad points at all from ANYBODY being able to get, carry and use air rifles / pistols at all?

and dungy im not talking about gun clubs etc..........im talking about anybody from yer local chav outside the corner shop up

no the fact is i a can see bad things from amountain of other issues that have been introduced to protect the public.

then the parents ignore them, so the children ignore them.

if i remember correctly a gun license is currently required for ownership of a firearm.

now forgive me if i'm wrong but has anyone suffered from a known licensed gun recently?

Archived