Air pistols & guns. Time for them to be licensed?

Should you have a licence?  

162 members have voted

1. 1. Should you have a licence?

• Yes, all air rifles and pistols should be licensed
    • No, air weapons should be available without a licence
    • I'm unsure

Yes, why do people want these things anyway. Fair enough if they want to go target shooting, I suppose. But, the majority seem to shoot at innocent people and animals.

If they were licenced like shotguns people would have to state where they intended to fire them.

... But, the majority seem to shoot at innocent people and animals. ...

This is exactly the prejudice that causes this discussion of licensing/banning.

I'd say the majority of airgun .. shooters/users(?)... do not want to be associated with the f***wits that shoot at other people/pets.

right lets set some myths straight

If you are 18 years or older there are no restrictions on buying an air rifle and ammunition, and you can use it where you have permission to shoot.

14 – 17 years*

You can

borrow an air rifle and ammunition

use an air rifle, without supervision, on private premises where you have permission

You cannot

buy or hire an air rifle, or ammunition, or receive them as a gift. Your air rifle and ammunition must be bought and looked after by someone over 18 – normally your parent, guardian or some other responsible adult.

have an air rifle in a public place unless you are supervised by somebody aged 21 or over, and you have a reasonable excuse to do so (for example, while on the way to a shooting ground).

Under 14 years

You can

use an air rifle under supervision on private premises with permission from the occupier – normally the owner or tenant. The person who supervises you must be at least 21 years old.

You cannot

buy, hire or receive an air rifle or its ammunition as a gift, or shoot, without adult supervision.

Parents or guardians who buy an air rifle for use by someone under 14 must exercise control over it at all times, even in the home or garden.

It is illegal to sell an air rifle or ammunition to a person under 18 years of age.

* These age limits apply from the introduction of the Violent Crime Reduction Act which is expected to come into force in October 2007

It is an offence to fire an air rifle pellet beyond the land where you have permission to shoot, unless the occupier of the neighbouring land has also given you permission. Where someone under 14 is shooting, both the young person and the supervising adult can be prosecuted.

It is also against the law, in England and Wales, to fire an air rifle within 50 feet of the centre of a highway if this results in someone being injured, interrupted or endangered. These offences could be committed, for example, when someone is shooting in their garden close to a road and the pellets ricochet onto the highway.

It is an offence in Scotland to discharge any gun in a culpable or reckless manner. This means shooting without caring about the safety of others

Thanks Sarah, that's pretty much as I remember the law.

My memory isn't perfect then... :) I seem to remember the required supervision age was < 17. Perhaps it should be raised to 17/18.

To those that want licensing/banning of air guns...

If the above laws were rigorously enforced and suitably punished for breaking, wouldn't most of the unfortunate incidents be prevented?

Thanks Sarah, that's pretty much as I remember the law.

My memory isn't perfect then... :) I seem to remember the required supervision age was < 17. Perhaps it should be raised to 17/18.

To those that want licensing/banning of air guns...

If the above laws were rigorously enforced and suitably punished for breaking, wouldn't most of the unfortunate incidents be prevented?

yes ,but the powers that be dont want you to have any weapon ,unless there was a war going on then they would give you as many has you could carry

right lets set some myths straight

If you are 18 years or older there are no restrictions on buying an air rifle and ammunition, and you can use it where you have permission to shoot.

14 – 17 years*

You can

borrow an air rifle and ammunition

use an air rifle, without supervision, on private premises where you have permission

You cannot

buy or hire an air rifle, or ammunition, or receive them as a gift. Your air rifle and ammunition must be bought and looked after by someone over 18 – normally your parent, guardian or some other responsible adult.

have an air rifle in a public place unless you are supervised by somebody aged 21 or over, and you have a reasonable excuse to do so (for example, while on the way to a shooting ground).

Under 14 years

You can

use an air rifle under supervision on private premises with permission from the occupier – normally the owner or tenant. The person who supervises you must be at least 21 years old.

You cannot

buy, hire or receive an air rifle or its ammunition as a gift, or shoot, without adult supervision.

Parents or guardians who buy an air rifle for use by someone under 14 must exercise control over it at all times, even in the home or garden.

It is illegal to sell an air rifle or ammunition to a person under 18 years of age.

* These age limits apply from the introduction of the Violent Crime Reduction Act which is expected to come into force in October 2007

It is an offence to fire an air rifle pellet beyond the land where you have permission to shoot, unless the occupier of the neighbouring land has also given you permission. Where someone under 14 is shooting, both the young person and the supervising adult can be prosecuted.

It is also against the law, in England and Wales, to fire an air rifle within 50 feet of the centre of a highway if this results in someone being injured, interrupted or endangered. These offences could be committed, for example, when someone is shooting in their garden close to a road and the pellets ricochet onto the highway.

It is an offence in Scotland to discharge any gun in a culpable or reckless manner. This means shooting without caring about the safety of others

spot on you go girl :D:D:D

Archived