Air pistols & guns. Time for them to be licensed?

Should you have a licence?  

162 members have voted

1. 1. Should you have a licence?

• Yes, all air rifles and pistols should be licensed
    • No, air weapons should be available without a licence
    • I'm unsure

I know that gun crime does still happen.

I don't know how the figures for handgun related crime has changed since the ban so wouldn't like to comment on on it's effectiveness on reducing crime.

There are more legaly held handguns now than ever before.

On the subject of current law, it seems it has indeed changed since I was last regularly shooting so at the ages 14-17 you may borrow an airgun but not own one yourself:

http://www.basc.org.uk/en/codes-of-practice/air-rifles.cfm

QUOTE]

I stand corrected also. Although on some sites it does still state you can own one over 14yrs old, obviously out of date.

I'm not just refering to black powder pistols, the law was about the length of the barrel.

LOL yes, but you don't usually think of guns over 24" long as handguns, in the common use of term. Definitely wouldn't earn you any gangsta street cred when trying to pull it out of yer jeans waistband (think Jack Nicolson in Batman http://media.photobucket.com/image/joker%20long%20gun%20batman/taga5og/600px-Batman-JokerRevolver3.jpg)

Sorry for any offence I was joking actualy, I've just posted a 200+5 in my latest comp round, and I'm not even using a recognised target air rifle, regarding animals I don't shoot them I enjoy targets.

No probs :thumbsup:

LOL yes, but you don't usually think of guns over 24" long as handguns,
True I thnk the measure was regarding the very short barrel revolvers that are easy to conceal.

At our club a large variety of pistols are used from 'Pirates of the Caribean' to Cowboy (as most people know them) sidearms.

The reason that members load their own ammunition is because we're only allowed to fire full bore on our indoor range with reduced charges in the bullets/loadings.

Looking at the graph provided earlier....

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/maps_and_graphs/2010/01/21/CrimeGunKnife.gif

It appears gun killings have reduced slightly (estimating 48 -> 40 ?) but knife killings have increased over the same time (est 200-> 250 pa).

So while gun murders may have reduced since the ban, knife crime has increased. Has the ban merely changed the choice of weapon or is the increase in knife killings unrelated?

Obviously knives are easier to come by and they don't require ammunition.

It would be interesting if someone could post figures regarding killings/shootings by people with legaly held firearms (not shotguns).

I don't know, how many killings (aside from the 15 children murdered in their school) were there using legally held handguns before they were banned?

There has been several shootings in Sheffield in recent years, were any of them by legal owners of firearms.

Under the current regulation my air rifle must remain within the 12Ft lb limit and 6Ft lb for air pistols, if I had an FAC I could then possess an air rifle firing at 40+ ft lbs

If they were banned they wouldn't be as many in the wrong hands would there? Ergo, the illegal use of them would reduce along with the injury (death) to people pets and property.

Strict gun licensing in the UK means we have very low relative gun crime so why not licence air weapons too?

Where are the real points of objection?

My Bold= I know that I'm being a little pedantic but the word weapon is a little overused in this context.

Many air rifle/pistols sold are little more than dangerous toys. there are far fewer around these days than when I was a lad, I had several down the years but none of my four children have ever possessed one.

Bassman, do you know if the .40, .45 & .50 (up to) 300ft/lb deerhunting air rifles are legal in UK on a FAC ticket?

Sorry no I don't but I'm going to my club tonight so I'll ask around as I know a few members do have FAC air rifles.

300ft/lb that's awsome, my rifle is loaded just short of 3000 PSI" but that is only in the holding cylinder and not in the firing cylinder.

Archived