Air pistols & guns. Time for them to be licensed?

Should you have a licence?  

162 members have voted

1. 1. Should you have a licence?

• Yes, all air rifles and pistols should be licensed
    • No, air weapons should be available without a licence
    • I'm unsure

Competitors and other responsible people could have as many guns of whatever kind as they like as long as they qualify for a licence.

They can have heavy machine guns for all I care as long as they are responsible and licenced.

In effect we have that already for firearms, but it's not cheap - the Police would have to man a significantly expanded firearms department to process licensing for airgun owners, and that will cost money.

Is it really necessary for items which are little more than toys?

But target shooting is a commonwealth and Olympic sports discipline - should British competitors be excluded because a minority don't like guns and target shooting isn’t essential?

Which is why, in my first post on this thread I recommended licenced/strictly controlled Clubs for Air Rifle users.

You may not have noticed, but since handguns were banned in the UK, handgun crime has risen by several hundred percent.

Nice theory, doesn't work in practice.

and thats not to do with our country lacking in action and funds in stopping handguns getting in the country?

just cos something doesnt work as efficently as you like you say right here, have the lot, everybody have a gun cos people get em illegally anyway

the only people who will be put off from buying an air gun would be responsible people who don't want the hassle of form filling.

illegal use would continue as it does with real guns.

why not enforce the current gun laws and the current existing laws that should prevent firing of air pistols in housing estate or at people

SIGH

and if somebody wants to learn to shoot, maybe to become a sportsman they join a proper club and shoot licensed.

some chav rabbiting down the woods aint gonna become our next olympic hero from it

Er - actually, I started rabbiting with a .22 air rifle - legally - and progressed to winning national championships in full bore pistol and rifle disciplines.

Which is why, in my first post on this thread I recommended licenced/strictly controlled Clubs for Air Rifle users.

they currently exist for real guns, i doubt the mindless idiot in Liverpool was a member of one though.

they currently exist for real guns, i doubt the mindless idiot in Liverpool was a member of one though.

There's no harm in young children learning the skill of target shooting with "starter weapons" such as Air Rifles/Air Pistols in a licenced, controlled environment, is there? One or two may well progress to Olympic excellence with the "real" thing in due course.

Perhaps I didn't explain my thoughts very well in the posts I have made on this thread. :)

yes but how did he learn to shoot? he dint just pick it up and be able to shoot a kid in the neck, mustve been a crackshot on the air pistols first?

or maybe he was aiming for the clay pigeon and missed?

Archived