Air pistols & guns. Time for them to be licensed?

Should you have a licence?  

162 members have voted

1. 1. Should you have a licence?

• Yes, all air rifles and pistols should be licensed
    • No, air weapons should be available without a licence
    • I'm unsure

yes but how did he learn to shoot? he dint just pick it up and be able to shoot a kid in the neck, mustve been a crackshot on the air pistols first?

or maybe he was aiming for the clay pigeon and missed?

or maybe he got "lucky" or "unluckY" you don't know a) he aimed

b)it was intentional or anything

There was that repeat burglar that was shot in the back by the farmer in Norfolk...

... but does he count?

I m currently reading the book by John Mcvicar regarding this.

The reason the lad was so badly injured was that Martin aimed below the light shining in his eyes, to try to catch them in the legs.

The lad was bending down, in the dark, loading silver cups into a bag, and took the shot in the back.

It was not a fatal wound, but a sucking lung shot.

The two thieves got away, after being hit twice more, and Martin went searching for them. he did not call the police.

The lad meanwhile was suffocating, and his mates ran and left him to die in the field near the house.

His main accomplice denied many times that anyone was with him.

If he had come clean the lad would be alive today.

It is simply not the case that anyone can legally buy an air weapon, despite the belief of most of the posters here. Airguns are subject to the firearms acts, and there are restrictions on their sale as well as also their use.

The selling or hiring of an airgun or ammunition to anyone under 17 carries a six month prison sentence, as does carrying a loaded or uncovered airgun in a public place. Having an air weapon or ammunition with intent to damage property 10 years prison; with intent to endanger life or resist arrest, life imprisonment. Threatening someone with an air weapon, whether loaded or not, 10 years prison. In addition, there are severe restrictions on the possession or ownership of airguns by people who have been received a custodial sentence of 3 months or over.

It is the opinion of the Home Office that air weapons that can legally be sold to those aged 17 and over are not in most circumstances capable of puncturing the skin, let alone inflicting serious injury.

It is most unlikely that the young men who currently carry 'real' guns and are prepared to use them got their eye in with airguns; far more likely that they honed their skills watching Hollywood movies. Maybe we should require that people obtain a licence before they can own a DVD?

It is most unlikely that the young men who currently carry 'real' guns and are prepared to use them got their eye in with airguns; far more likely that they honed their skills watching Hollywood movies. Maybe we should require that people obtain a licence before they can own a DVD?

it might give them an idea for a stance, how to hold a gun but come on, the only way to be a crackshot is to practice (with an actual gun)

Don't think many of them are crack shots actually. Just shoot at such close range they can't miss.

Aparantly it is phsychological.

The reason that so few people die in warfare, compared to the ammunition used, is that is not normal for humans to kill each other. Most soldiers do not want to kill.

We are a social animal, and rely on each other for support, even other tribes we trade with , and exchange partners.

We prefer to make war by scaring tactics, gun boat diplomacy, cold war, etc.

This blatant murder and violence can only be a result of some recently introduced factor.

And as I have said before, we must look to our latest influx of people.

Even I would not pin this latest one on Thatcher.

I have one myself and no I don't think you should need a license although selling them to blatant yobs seems foolish, maybe checking the buyer's criminal record would be sensible? I own one- but if I see one being misused or out in public where it shouldn't be I report it to the police.

Responsible parents teach kids how to respect guns and not misuse them - such kids would be the last to have anything to do with gun crime because they would have been positively conditioned not to see fashionable status in being an armed moron.

My late Grandfather taught me how to shoot safely with air weapons - the importance of assuming any gun to be loaded until one has personally proven otherwise, and never pointing a gun at a human being ( unless, as Grandpa said, you intend to shoot them). Like wise I've shown my eldest how to handle and shoot air rifles and pistols.

I was a member of an air rifle club with my Dad for a while and I'm a damned good shot - I have put five shots through the same hole at six yards with my .177 Sharp Innova.

I don't think air weapons should need licensing, no. As Dungbeetle pointed out earlier in the thread there are plenty of more dangerous weapons available, that are far more likely to result in serious injury or death. A cricket ball,half brick a well thrown stone...

My late Grandfather taught me how to shoot safely with air weapons - the importance of assuming any gun to be loaded until one has personally proven otherwise, and never pointing a gun at a human being ( unless, as Grandpa said, you intend to shoot them). Like wise I've shown my eldest how to handle and shoot air rifles and pistols.

I was a member of an air rifle club with my Dad for a while and I'm a damned good shot - I have put five shots through the same hole at six yards with my .177 Sharp Innova.

I don't think air weapons should need licensing, no. As Dungbeetle pointed out earlier in the thread there are plenty of more dangerous weapons available, that are far more likely to result in serious injury or death. A cricket ball,half brick a well thrown stone...

Whoever this is, now give Halibut back his computer and leave his house, immediaty :rant:

Archived