Rugby Union World Cup megathread

firecracker

Who will win the Rugby Union World Cup?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the Rugby Union World Cup?

• New Zealand
    • Australia
    • South Africa
    • England
    • Scotland
    • Wales
    • Ireland
    • France
    • Italy
    • Western Samoa
    • Argentina
    • Other

Eloshvili of Georgia has been suspended for seven weeks (he'll miss five club games and one International) for a spear tackle.

I have to say, that's the one thing about this World Cup that has really appalled me. The spear tackle seemed to have been completely eliminated from rugby, but there's been at least three in this tournament, and it's only by sheer luck that none of the victims have been left a cripple. I really think the punishment for this should be six months at the absolute minimum.

Eloshvili of Georgia has been suspended for seven weeks (he'll miss five club games and one International) for a spear tackle.

I have to say, that's the one thing about this World Cup that has really appalled me. The spear tackle seemed to have been completely eliminated from rugby, but there's been at least three in this tournament, and it's only by sheer luck that none of the victims have been left a cripple. I really think the punishment for this should be six months at the absolute minimum.

Brian O'Driscoll was injured in the first few minutes of the first Lions' Test the other year from a blatant spear, and again an Irish forward (of all people, was it Donncha?) was injured too in the Six Nations from a similar challenge. Indeed, I still say O'Driscoll hasn't recovered from that injury yet.

The thing is, if you lift someone from the ground in a tackle you are responsible for your opponent's safety.

I agree a hefty penalty should be imposed.

"Brian O'Driscoll was injured in the first few minutes of the first Lions' Test the other year from a blatant spear, "

True, but as I recall a certain other Irish Lion "speared" someone from the (I think) Waikato team just the week before.

The disciplinary penalties are actually much higher in Union than in League, where it is rare for anything done on the pitch to result in more than a 2 match ban.

The disciplinary penalties are actually much higher in Union than in League, where it is rare for anything done on the pitch to result in more than a 2 match ban.

True. I remember a few league World Cups ago - I forget which one, but obviously it was one where England and Wales entered separate teams - one of the English players was speared by his Welsh counterparts. I don't recall what punishment they got, but they certainly weren't sent off.

It's one of the few things for which I would whole-heartedly support a criminal prosecution for violent acts on the pitch. You could argue a strong case for attempted murder, on a spear tackle.

Farrell ruled out of Australia QF - I'd regard this as good news for England supporters. http://www.sportinglife.com/rugbyunion/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=rugby/07/10/04/WORLDCUP_England.html

Given that he was going to play as centre, it seems a no-brainer to bring in Catt in his place.

Then again, no-brainers are what the rugby leadership of England have, traditionally, had problems with :hihi:

Farrell ruled out of Australia QF - I'd regard this as good news for England supporters. http://www.sportinglife.com/rugbyunion/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=rugby/07/10/04/WORLDCUP_England.html

I don't. At last the England management had got it into their skulls that playing virtually every player out of position is a recipe for confusion and uncertainty. Barkley is not a centre, he's an unproven fly-half who stood out against USA because he was actually playing at fly half. Catt wasn't good enough to be an international fly half let alone centre when he was at his best 6-8 years ago. The only reason he is even being considered here is a match winning half a game at the last world cup - the flimsiest case for inclusion I can think of.

Give Hipkiss a shot I reckon - else why's he in the squad?

Catt wasn't good enough to be an international fly half let alone centre when he was at his best 6-8 years ago.

That's because he never was a fly-half. He played centre for Bath and was bloody good at it, so the England team picked him at fly-half, at scrum-half, at winger and at full-back, and he was never any good. On the extremely rare occasions they played him at centre, he was awesome.

See what I mean about no-brainers?

That's because he never was a fly-half. He played centre for Bath and was bloody good at it, so the England team picked him at fly-half, at scrum-half, at winger and at full-back, and he was never any good. On the extremely rare occasions they played him at centre, he was awesome.

See what I mean about no-brainers?

I can see we're not going to agree here. Catt was understudy to Stuart Barnes at Bath. When Barnes didn't play, Catt played fly-half.

...Or was Barnes really a centre? Who couldn't break into the England side because of that great England centre Rob Andrew?

I have never watched an 80 minute performance for England of his which I would describe as 'awesome'. Often the good outweighed the bad, but there was always some bad.

Archived