Rugby Union World Cup megathread

firecracker

Who will win the Rugby Union World Cup?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the Rugby Union World Cup?

• New Zealand
    • Australia
    • South Africa
    • England
    • Scotland
    • Wales
    • Ireland
    • France
    • Italy
    • Western Samoa
    • Argentina
    • Other

I refer the good ladies and gents to my earlier post regarding the Kiwi's always choking.

I thank you :hihi:

At the same said post you're referring to, you also said you believe the Kiwis will beat their demons this year and win ( or words to that effect )

Picket fences sale at B&Q ?

I refer the good ladies and gents to my earlier post regarding the Kiwi's always choking.

I thank you :hihi:

Couldn't see beyond them, but couldn't see who else'd be able to win it. At the start of the tournament I fancied the Boks from a betting point of view (my ante post on the Boys In Green went west a long time ago, before the tournament started really), but I've not had a penny on.

Unfortunately, not. It seems the Argies had something to say about that one.

Couldn't believe they tried to chip it to the corner instead of continuing to push forward. :(

Can anyone settle an argument please. If Scotland had got a try in 80th minute, ( when clock was red ), would they have been allowed to go for the conversion? I say no as after the try is scored the ball is dead so game over. If I am right they would still have lost against Argies. Son says not as he thinks they would still have been allowed to go for conversion.

Couldn't believe they tried to chip it to the corner instead of continuing to push forward. :(

Can anyone settle an argument please. If Scotland had got a try in 80th minute, ( when clock was red ), would they have been allowed to go for the conversion? I say no as after the try is scored the ball is dead so game over. If I am right they would still have lost against Argies. Son says not as he thinks they would still have been allowed to go for conversion.

When I played you got the kick too. Stems from the fact that in the early days a try was worth one point and was then converted into a goal, worth lots of points, by landing the kick. The conversion is therefore a continuation of the play in which the try was scored.

Definitely, you get the kick to the posts. The ball isn't dead; the dead ball line is beyond the try line. All that has happened is a stoppage of play while possession is kept.

After the conversion attempt, the ball is dead.

When I played you got the kick too. Stems from the fact that in the early days a try was worth one point and was then converted into a goal, worth lots of points, by landing the kick. The conversion is therefore a continuation of the play in which the try was scored.

I believe that in the very early days, a "try" was exactly that; it earnt you a try at goal, and no points at all.

Archived