Rugby Union World Cup megathread

firecracker

Who will win the Rugby Union World Cup?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the Rugby Union World Cup?

• New Zealand
    • Australia
    • South Africa
    • England
    • Scotland
    • Wales
    • Ireland
    • France
    • Italy
    • Western Samoa
    • Argentina
    • Other

It was a try, but at the end of the day we had the territory but couldn't win our own Lineouts - if you can't do that then you won't win. So try or not, we didn't deserve it.

But the Lads did well, if the soccer players had half as much bottle / heart etc then we'd do pretty well at the other world cup as well - so we should be happy that the England team have done us proud.

I'm a southerner by birth, been living in Sheff for 20+ years (though people still say I have the Southern accent).

I carn't 'elp it, I cum from dine Sarf.

Seriously, I'm a Union fan - can't get league. I've tried, really I have, but, contrary to popular opinion, I find league too stop, start and the scrum! What the **** is that all about? Why bother?

Back to the World Cup. England did well, but I never felt they would win the game. It was very close, but S Africa always looked in control to me.

The 'try' was terrible decision, though I did think his foot touched the line before he lifted it. Might have changed the game, but it did not.

In truth, England being in the final was unbelievable. No one gave them a hope after the 36-0 drubbing by the Springboks a few weeks back. I never thought they'd beat the Aussies (even with 15 pints of beer inside me, I never thought that).

But they did!!!

Then came the French. Well, I thought, getting to the semi's, considering the last couple of years, that would be a good showing.

And they go and beat the French!! :huh::loopy:

To be honest, apart from the All Blacks (who went out to the French) the Springboks were probably the best side in the competition. They played the best, most consistent rugby and to lose to them is no terrible thing.

What I did think was a big statement, though, was the penalty just before the end of the first half. S Africa could have kicked to touch, got the lineout a few yards from the England try line (and they were very dominant in the lineout) and gone for a try. Instead, (for me) they bottled it and went for the easy 3 points.

That act said 'we don't think we can break your defence, so we'll get something from this attack'. Sadly, England were not able to use that fear to their advantage.

Still, I have seen an England tea, win the World Cup in my lifetime, so I am still a happy bunny.

What about the rest of you???

I am sad about the result :( but not as sad as England losing the football world cup,it don't seem to hurt so much.

Maybe the lack of St George flags flying on council houses will show you how much it ment?

I don't think we were outplayed.That try should clearly have been given & obviously would have changed the game.

In every game I've ever played in, that try would probably have been given, as it looked a good try. That aside, his boot hits the white line before grounding, and therefore he was in touch.

It was a perfectly good decision under the Laws. The fact that £££££££££££££££ has decided that we have to have RugbyBot to take the place of touch judges, and indeed the referee, seems to be missed.

A predictably awful match, but not as bad as the one I saw at Bramall Lane.

There's nothing to be sad about. Heroic middle-England played to their very best.

Contrast with what used to be the working-class lot that make up the England football team -mutter the national anthem and the results show their lack of pride.

The contrast with majority-Conservative voting English rugby and the 'derr what's a political party' footballers northern and southern under-class couldn't be more stark.

Politics was brought into it tonight with Gordon Brown acting like an embarrassing ejit again and timing the shaking of hands all wrong after England's glorious failure. Just after the Mcweasil had surrendered glorious centuries of English freedom and history against the will of the people and without a mandate to proven corrupt foreigners (although no doubt he's had plenty of man-love from the corrupt Brussels puppets this week)

It was a try, but at the end of the day we had the territory but couldn't win our own Lineouts - if you can't do that then you won't win. So try or not, we didn't deserve it.

But the Lads did well, if the soccer players had half as much bottle / heart etc then we'd do pretty well at the other world cup as well - so we should be happy that the England team have done us proud.

No, it wasn't a try at all, but it was close. If your foot is on the line before grounding the ball, then you're in touch, and it's not a try.

The 'try' was terrible decision, though I did think his foot touched the line before he lifted it. Might have changed the game, but it did not.

So clearly it wasn't a terrible decision, as, as a Union fan yourself as I am, you would know that if his boot hit the white line before grounding the ball, he is in touch, and so NO TRY.

Why you say it was a 'terrible' decision and then quote the reason why the decision was correct baffles me.

Archived