Honda Civic Type 'R' - Opinions please

The type R is an enthusiasts car. If you don't already know about the v-tech engine then maybe this car is not for you. From a small engine Honda have got a suprising amount of power and has gained something of a cult status, with many mods available to imrove it further. Well worth visiting some Type-R owners forums on the net to appreciate this machine which shouldn't be confused with the "normal" civics.

honda civic type R. Whats it like on petrol? do you feel any power out of it, is it worth a buy?

Are you talking new version or old?

The new version is a little more watered down, much to the chagrin of owners of the old version.

The new one still produces 197bhp, and with vtec only gets going at >6k revs (hence many people find it constant hardwork to get the best out of). It has one of the sweetest gear changes of any modern hatchback.

It depends what you want.. for a more hard core drive you might want to look at an Integra, or wait for the rumoured Civic Type RR.

As others have said you can get a Focus ST for a couple of grand more, but the new S3 is at least £7k more, although for that you get +70bhp and 4 wheel drive.

Personally, 3 yrs ago I chose to go for a Cupra R as I preferred power lower down the rev range, thought it looked better, and was a better overall package for the price. I think the old S3 was about £6k more at the time, and the difference simply wasn't justified IMO.

Any car that produces c200bhp will only return you around 30mpg (at best).

They will be costly on tyres and brake pads, and insurance will be higher - all cost that need to be borne in mind.

The Seat R is built in Spain...just look at the build quality of their hotels. enough said.

Can't comment knowledgeably on the state of Spanish hotels, but you're talking rubbish about modern SEATs.

i9v got a type-r and i wouldn`t swap it for any of those cars, its good on petrol even when your in vtech alot, if you go for a test drive at peter brookes they will take you for a great test drive and show you wot the car can do, forget you focus ST. But i wont have a new one coz you paying loads more and they are no quicker and handling is not as good. Go and test drive one you will love it!!!:bigsmile:

Archived