The Ritz cinema

smary

Reply to Smary,

yes I remember him very well. I used to go the Saturday sixpenny matinees way back and can remember him sitting outside in his wheel chair.

Those matinees were crazy. Kids running around and shouting throughout the show. The usherette had just given up I guess.

still those matinees were my first introdution to the Three Stooges, The Bowery Boys and Hopalong Cassidy.

Your dad will remeber them I'm sure.

Roy Rogers, Cisco Kid, Bat Man, And The Narrow Passage Down The Side We Would Queue To Go In. Can Any Body Remember The Cry From One Side Would Shout 'any Body Got A Rabbit' Other Side Would Shout What For 'and Theyed Shout' Back 'got Hair Up My .... ' And Of Course Flash Gordon

It's a shame that the Ritz is now an eyesore. It obviously needs to be demolished?

But i can appreciate that there's so much history / memories for the older generation that used to know it as a cinema.

When a bingo hall, you could still see the cinema layout of the building. Shame, holds great memories for some and now a burnt out shell.

What more can I say?

The narrow passage you spoke about which ran down each side was where people used to go when there was an air raid

Remember when i was at school, we use to sing ...

“when i was walking past ritz i grabbed a woman by the” err... um cough.

Bet that's not the only thing that passage was used for.:D

After V.E.day someone coughed up enough money to send us all to the Saturday matinee.

The covered area down the side was for the cheap seats.

You bought your ticket at a little window at the top of the 'Entry'

Maybe the first 12 rows were reserved for the kids who bought their ticket on the side .

On reflection I can never remember that side passage ever being used for evening performances.

I sometimes used to go with my dad and we inevitably sat in the cheaper seats but I never remember lining up down the side

Someone posted a message saying that it's a burned out ruin now.

Pretty sad. I saw a lot of great movies there with mom and dad.

I remember the manager was a little bald headed guy with a moustache and wore a dickie bow tie. He used to climb up on the stage before the Saturday matinee shows started and ask if anyone wanted to come up and sing a song. Kids would come up and bawl out some tune or other which nobody could hear above the roaring and shouting of all the other kids. One popular song was an old wartime carryover called "Run Rabbit Run" This was in the late 1940s. I used to like the Don Winslow adventure films.

• 1 month later...

Archived