Speedqueen Comes To Nylon

dansociety

SPEEDQUEEN comes to Nylon - Saturday 29th Sept

This is a very special announcement indeed. Nylon Sheffield are very proud to announce a new residency with one of the country's best loved nights…Speed Queen.

A little over 12 years ago, a night was borne in the fair city of Leeds that encapsulated forward thinking, breaking down barriers and great funky 'move your ass to this' house music. What started as a night spoke off reverentially in whispers as Leeds' biggest secret became one of the country's biggest weekly nights running every Saturday at some of the city's best venues…The Warehouse, Stinky's Peep House, Rehab and now Discotheque.

To call this night a gay friendly night would be underselling it massively. It simply is a night where sexuality, race, colour or creed did not matter…all that was important was celebrating the diversity within by having a damn good party. It spawned many a copycat night across the country but as it hordes of regulars will attest you just do not mess with The Queen!

In a masterstroke and a little bit of luck with timing Speedqueen will be coming to Sheffield for one night on Saturday 29th Sept with a view to further collaborations, bringing with her the madcap, colourful, talented and incredibly unique brand DJs, performers, musicians, drag queens and more to have a party at Nylon.

And guess what? YOU'RE INVITED.

The Speedqueen DJs are nationally known as some of the best house DJs around…and trust us they pack a hefty punch and we guarantee they will have you dancing till the wee hours.

Also bringing in some local Sheffield flavour (and showing them we do it as well up in here) are residents Adam and Nathan as well as Watty. Between them they have rocked their fair share of dance floors and are a surefire complement to the Speedqueen DJs. Expect the unusual !!!!

Keep informed about this and all our other events at http://www.myspace.com/nylonsheffield1

you can also email nylonsheffield@hotmail.co.uk or call 0114 2754100.

sorry dan, much as i like to champion new ventures in sheffield, i've tried nylon 3 times, and each time, found it to be a dive.

i can't be fairer than that, 3 times, and unimpressed each time, i also feel i have to voice my opinions to all my friends too, and can't really see any of them giving you a try neither.

(seeing as we're repeating)x

sorry dan, much as i like to champion new ventures in sheffield, i've tried nylon 3 times, and each time, found it to be a dive.

i can't be fairer than that, 3 times, and unimpressed each time, i also feel i have to voice my opinions to all my friends too, and can't really see any of them giving you a try neither.

(seeing as we're repeating)x

You have made the same comment twice now. What's the point? Are you determined to spoil the reputation of this place in ordere to big up the venue you are currently connected to?

Well, I am glad that Speed Queen is touring.

I've been to the one in Leeds once, and it_was_buzzing. :love: I don't think I've had that kind of feeling for a club since my very first time to Cream. Whoever is the drummer, I wanna marry him. ;)

I can see why Nylon isn't that kind of venue, as it isn't very warehouse-like, but hopefully the system will kick ass. I've been in there a few times now for a drink, and it is an odd place to have such a nice system, with a big floor. It is very polished and clean-cut, which Speed Queen in Leeds isn't. It's a lot more of a dive, in a warehouse-like venue, but with an edge, and fan-tas-tic music.

Anyway, I also truly recommend the experience of this night out too.

I whole-heartedly recommend Slimsid to go to this venue. As it is NOT a meat market, and this is what music and clubbing is all about. The appreciation of the music, and not necessarily a meat market per se. Dancing queens, dance your hearts out. *thumbs up*

I can see why Nylon isn't that kind of venue, as it isn't very warehouse-like, but hopefully the system will kick ass. I've been in there a few times now for a drink, and it is an odd place to have such a nice system, with a big floor. It is very polished and clean-cut, which Speed Queen in Leeds isn't. It's a lot more of a dive, in a warehouse-like venue, but with an edge, and fan-tas-tic music.

It's at Discotheque in Leeds now so i'd expected it to more clean-cut and polished!

The drummer is 'Bongo Dave', he is very sweet and just never seems to run out of energy.

Speedqueen is an excellent night out, I agree that it sounds like this guy is trying to put a dampner on it.

It is not a gay night, nor a straight night, it is the true meaning of metrosexual, it is the attitude that counts and they get that very right. I hope for Sheffields sake it will be successful, no beered up louts will go to a night like that :-)

The drummer is 'Bongo Dave', he is very sweet and just never seems to run out of energy.

Speedqueen is an excellent night out, I agree that it sounds like this guy is trying to put a dampner on it.

It is not a gay night, nor a straight night, it is the true meaning of metrosexual, it is the attitude that counts and they get that very right. I hope for Sheffields sake it will be successful, no beered up louts will go to a night like that :-)

Totally agree! It's neither nor which IMO is great!

It's at Discotheque in Leeds now so i'd expected it to more clean-cut and polished!

Ok, ok, chiiiiiiilll. :cool:

You're very protective of this night, aren't you? It was just interesting what was written, and I thought I'd add my piece cos I am not tied to any clubs, and nor am I a promoter. Just another clubber or oldbie clubber who appreciate Speed Queen's music. :)

Well, I do not know whether it classes itself as a "gay night" or not. It is what I am used to when Cream was in its peak. It just reminds me of that time, and era. I've not seen it recreated anywhere else. That time in Speed Queen, I was pretty much blown away by it. Both the setup of the club, and the actual music. (I don't know whether it was Discotheque or not, as it was based in a warehouse near the train station.) I didn't really rate it much until towards the end when the drumming started, and I watched the people danced. It is so addictive, and the vibe was pretty unreal. It really was not a place for people who don't want to dance, and just people watch. I hope there are more nights like that. It definitely struck a very similar vibe that Cream used to promote.

The drummer was great because he managed to pitch it quite well. His name is Bongo Dave? Well, Mr Bongo knows his beat and definitely enjoys what he does, and if he continues to explore the music, then he will have a great following. Having such live music definitely adds another angle to the clubbing experience. He really put all his energy into it. Which feeds off onto the clubbers. It's quite refreshing.

If it isn't a true gay nights, you won't pull in the girlies who would enjoy such an atmosphere. The glam, the flamboyant attitude and all the rest. There is an authenticity to such nights which isn't really imitated anywhere else. I've just been reading the other thread on Decandence. Hehe.

Saying that, if the girlies do not go, nor will the lads follow. Yet, it is amusing to sort out the real gay men from the ones who tries to be, but aren't, yet tries to chat up the girls, but not get found out that they are not gay. Metrosexual men? I didn't think they existed.

As long as people enjoy the music, then I think you will pull in the crowd... I don't know whether there are any stages in Nylon, but if you do put up a stage, people will hit the ceiling. :hihi: Yet, without a stage or table to dance on, it doesn't feel the same. Well, I hope you guys pull it off, and have a great night anyway. Hopefully, it won't fall on a Tuesday. ;)

Archived