Taking Trainers Back

My boyfriend bought some trainers a couple of weeks back and he just can't get comfy in them. They have rubbed all the skin from the top of his feet causing massive blisters.

He's tried all sorts to wear them in but he just isn't happy with them.

So anyway yesterday we took them back to the shop in meadowhell and were told they wouldn't take them back because they couldn't be resold. We were told they could only be taken back if there was a fault with them.

I thought everyone had 6 months to take things back if they weren't happy with them?

Anyway I'm now contemplating making a "fault" ie. cutting some stitching on them. Is this really bad? I know it's hardly honest but they were very expensive and we really want our money back.

I feel awful for thinking of doing this but don't know what else to do. ?

Originally posted by steelblade

I thought everyone had 6 months to take things back if they weren't happy with them?

Don't know where you heard this. Many shops have a 14 - 16 day return policy if you're unhappy with their product, but I think the law only protects for things that are faulty, described incorrectly or damaged.

Also, I'd really reconsider damaging the trainers. If you do take them back and they still refuse to replace / refund, you'll be stuck with a pair of useless, damaged trainers. At least you could sell them 2nd hand in the state they're in now.

Originally posted by steelblade

My boyfriend bought some trainers a couple of weeks back and he just can't get comfy in them. They have rubbed all the skin from the top of his feet causing massive blisters.

He's tried all sorts to wear them in but he just isn't happy with them.

So anyway yesterday we took them back to the shop in meadowhell and were told they wouldn't take them back because they couldn't be resold. We were told they could only be taken back if there was a fault with them.

Anyway I'm now contemplating making a "fault" ie. cutting some stitching on them. Is this really bad? I know it's hardly honest but they were very expensive and we really want our money back.

I feel awful for thinking of doing this but don't know what else to do. ?

Did you speak to the manager?

I not sure about 6 months I have seen 28 days and 14 days in the past. If the shoes were faulty you would be entitled to your money back. I once paid £110 for some trainers and after a couple of months the sole came loose. I took the trainers back and had to insist on a refund but they were reluctant. IMO if I pay that amount of Money for trainers then those babies are guaranteed. With your situation it's a bit tricky. If your not satisfied with what you've been told I suggest you contact Citizeans Advice.

yes we spoke to the manager. He just kept repeating that as they were'nt faulty we couldn't have a refund or exchange them.

Just checked on trading standards and it loks as though I'll have no option but to make them "faulty".

And what happens when you go back and claim there's a fault, and the manager remembers that there wasn't a fault when you came in complaining a few days earlier? What happens, if by some chance the manager reads this and realises what you've done?

Unless the shop has a notice stating otherwise, the Sale of Goods act only entitles you to a refund if goods are faulty. There's no obligation on them to give a refund because you changed your mind, the shoes don't fit or you don't like the colour. Many shops will, as a gesture of goodwill, but they're not obliged to (unless an advertised refund policy stated that a refund would be given in those circumstances).

PS - If everyone had 6 months to return any goods they didn't like, I'd be getting myself a new pair of shoes every six months. "Sorry, Mr Shopkeeper, but I've tried, and I just can't get comfortable in them."

Depends a bit on what they cost. The places that charge £70 quid plus are making a stonking great profit (the shoes are probably made in the third world for a cost measured in pence). They can afford to throw returns away and offer a replacement. "Rubbing off the skin and causing blisters" might be taken to indicate a design fault so they ARE faulty and persistence should pay off. I've succeeded in the past (with those bloody expensive kids shoes). On the other hand, new shoes do sometimes need a bit of "breaking in" so decide if you are being reasonable. Suppose there was no recompense would you actually throw them away or persist with them, try to stretch the bits that rub?

It is understandable that the shops take a robust approach to returns because people do "try it on" and it wasn't a good idea to leave it 2 weeks to return them. They are understandably more receptive to doing an exchange or issuing a credit-note rather than money-back.

If you are sure you are in the right take some photos of the shop, feet (if blisters etc still in evidence), shoes, staff and manager. When the manager gets inquisitive explain that he refused a refund and so you are building a website to advertise your grievance - DON'T make any threats. Be pleasant and reasonable and understand that he isn't able to offer a replacement and expect him to be reasonable and understand that you only intend to tell the truth - he has nothing to fear in that. Offer him the right of reply if he would like to put together a statement for the website. Chances are he'll want to find an alternative solution.

Archived