Idea- Regeneration funding for a gay quarter?

craigpugh

every single day is straight pride mate.

Can I walk down the street holding my partners hand?...NO! Is it acceptable for me to kiss my partner in public?....NO! Is it fair that when I book into a hotel that's a double room with two men sharing I get treat like filth?.....NO!

Can I walk down the street holding my partners hand?...NO! Is it acceptable for me to kiss my partner in public?....NO! Is it fair that when I book into a hotel that's a double room with two men sharing I get treat like filth?.....NO!

you can, but is good that you don't :)

Hello- i work in regeneration and have often wondered, with all the money coming to sheffield to support new economic growth, why no-one has ever tried to get any funding support to help develop a gay quarter in the city centre.

There must be business people either running venues, or who might want to try their hand at being entrepeneurial and running somewhere, who could make a real success if there was a bit more of a strategic approach. There could also do with being some support from within the various authorities- council, etc.

Does any one think this is a good idea? Anyone know of previous attempts? Surely with sheffield's ever increasing 'night-time economy' the time must just about be right for a gay renaiassance?

If your gay, be gay, but don't try to encourage others to be the same as you.

Sheffield don't want a gay quarter promoting, it wants proper families with kids promoting so it can be a sustainable city.

A family quarter would be good.

why not are you scared?

Why not have you never kissed in public before (p.s us straight people also dont kiss in public, we get use to it, so will you!!

I get the same responce when i take 2 women back to the hotel room, but do you know what.. stuff what people think.

that's the problem with GAY people.. their 2 bothered about what people say!!

why not are you scared?

Why not have you never kissed in public before (p.s us straight people also dont kiss in public, we get use to it, so will you!!

I get the same responce when i take 2 women back to the hotel room, but do you know what.. stuff what people think.

that's the problem with GAY people.. their 2 bothered about what people say!!

Are you shouting ?! Telling people what to do!! "Be gay, be gay" blah blah blah yadda yadda yadda... :rolleyes:

I guess this is all about metrosexuality these days, you know, be a little bit dramatic, and throw a tantrum or two. :hihi:

Oi, oi, oi...

if anyone gave you the reply you deserve then admin would step in .so keep your head and arse comments to yourself. you asked for peoples thoughts on your idea .if you dont like them dont ask. as you know people are not all the same.

I thought that his comment was very apt actually. Btw, it was not Damo's idea to start this thread, but craigpugh's. Please get your facts right. Craigpugh started the thread asking an innocent Q. Tom3t0 made assumption that going to a gay clubbing night or whatever he meant will actually make you turn "gay". Damo's reply is spot on. Even as a straight female, it hit a nerve in me too reading what he wrote.

Obviously if you have been to a clubbing event, or even areas like Canal Street in Manchester. It is nothing more than just a few clubs or bars which the gay community go to. Or rather, it became a popular venue for straight people because of its friendliness, and none of the sexual aggressiveness one finds in a straight bar/club sometimes.

Aggressiveness in bars or clubs is why clubs or bars fold.

I thought that his comment was very apt actually. Btw, it was not Damo's idea to start this thread, but craigpugh's. Please get your facts right. Craigpugh started the thread asking an innocent Q. Tom3t0 made assumption that going to a gay clubbing night or whatever he meant will actually make you turn "gay". Damo's reply is spot on. Even as a straight female, it hit a nerve in me too reading what he wrote.

Obviously if you have been to a clubbing event, or even areas like Canal Street in Manchester. It is nothing more than just a few clubs or bars which the gay community go to. Or rather, it became a popular venue for straight people because of its friendliness, and none of the sexual aggressiveness one finds in a straight bar/club sometimes.

Aggressiveness in bars or clubs is why clubs or bars fold.

i am straight also , i have been on canal street loads of times ,a friend of mine owns quite a bit of it .he is gay and i have never heard him accuse anyone of having thier head up thier arse for not agreeing with him . canal street is not a gay street its a street where gays go ,also straight people , mainly because its reasonably trouble free. theres no such thing as gay ,straight,bi ,or any other street. as said earlier its dangerous to separate people into little groups. if we had a gay quarter by its name it suggests gay only.

i am straight also , i have been on canal street loads of times ,a friend of mine owns quite a bit of it .he is gay and i have never heard him accuse anyone of having thier head up thier arse for not agreeing with him . canal street is not a gay street its a street where gays go ,also straight people , mainly because its reasonably trouble free. theres no such thing as gay ,straight,bi ,or any other street. as said earlier its dangerous to separate people into little groups. if we had a gay quarter by its name it suggests gay only.

This is the thing, I've lived in Manchester for years as a student, and I am aware of the local news that go on too. The fact that, some rough idiots who go looking for trouble made a few gays stand up and open "gay only" bars near Canal Street changed the course of events in history. I don't think it intended to be a whole street of gay bars, but it has became one of the more friendly drinking area in the city, and also had heavy security which made punters want to drink in that area to begin with. (Ok, plus it was a little bit more up and coming around that time too.) As opposed to slack securities in some bars and clubs.

If I recall, there was only ONE strict gay bar whereby it was at the owner's discretion who he wanted to let in. The rest were just bars which gays frequented, this is true. I guess it is only social perception that it's dubbed as a "gay bar area".

This is why I do not understand why there should be a more commercial "gay quarter". Exactly what would be promoted within such an area to begin with? Anyhow, Tom3t0's comment did not help at all. Whatever he had in mind, isn't what other people had in mind at all. Well, definitely not myself, or the OP's, I do not think...

Archived