Ghost and mystery stories about Castleton and Winnats Pass

Bikertec

I remember the 9 o clock train to Hope station, a gang of us used to catch it and walk to casleton through the fields, be about 1960 I'd be 11 then, I remember the older lads singin [walk like a man] which was in the charts at the time,by the 4 seasons, at this time some of you may remember Neil Moss who was trapped and latter died in Peak Cavern around the same time.I remember a cave we called [the mouse trap] just over the catle grid at winnats pass up to the right .the one higher up the pass and mutch harder to

climb to I forget what we called It.It had a tunnel about 4 foot high which opened up to a large cavern and there were 3 holes in the roof [which you could also gain entrance to the cavern] in the left corner of the cavern you could scrawl through an entrance and carry on 4 maybe 80 yards and then there was a steep incline down to the end of the mine.

the train back to sheffield was fun as the older lads used to screw out the carriage bullbs before the totley tunnel and have fun with the girls in the dark

oh happy times Im 59 now but those memories are still strong.

I remember a cave we called [the mouse trap] just over the catle grid at winnats pass up to the right .the one higher up the pass and much harder to climb to I forget what we called It.It had a tunnel about 4 foot high which opened up to a large cavern and there were 3 holes in the roof [which you could also gain entrance to the cavern] in the left corner of the cavern you could scrawl through an entrance and carry on 4 maybe 80 yards and then there was a steep incline down to the end of the mine.
This is the Old Tor Mine (see my post #11 on this thread). You could climb down the steep incline until about the early 1960s but then they must have done some blasting and this made it too steep and risky without caving gear. There was lots of Blue John in the walls of the mine (which I think included some natural caverns) as well as other colourful minerals. Somewhere I have a couple of photos; I'll try to find them and put them on Photobox.

... the train back to sheffield was fun as the older lads used to screw out the carriage bullbs before the totley tunnel and have fun with the girls in the dark. oh happy times Im 59 now but those memories are still strong.
Ah - so you it was you lot who got up to all the hanky-panky in the next coach to ours! I'm a year older and we always enjoyed the train ride (it would be an ex-LMS tank engine and three or four old suburban coaches with no corridor) as well as walking over the hills.

Does anyone remember the Douglas Museum? It was in a private house on the narrow lane near the back of Castleton Youth Hostel. I never went in (as it cost 9d...) but you could see a few curios through the windows - ships in bottles etc.

Happy days.

• 1 year later...

Hi guys, I did a dissertation on Winnats Pass and the Peak District and found some really scary facts. That area is a hotspot for missing hikers and also has a ridiculously high level of ghost sightings and they have banned camping in many of the areas..... I was so freaked out when I did the research that I had nightmares for about 2 weeks. Allan and Clara's saddle was the thing that inspired me to write my dissertation on it. They authorities say that the missing people may have got lost in the caves and possibly been washed into the underground rivers.

It was really difficult to any sense out of anyone in the area, its all very hush hush. Apart from that the area is sooooo beautiful.

Anybody fancy doing a ghost expedition? hehe.

Hi guys, I did a dissertation on Winnats Pass and the Peak District and found some really scary facts. That area is a hotspot for missing hikers and also has a ridiculously high level of ghost sightings and they have banned camping in many of the areas..... I was so freaked out when I did the research that I had nightmares for about 2 weeks. Allan and Clara's saddle was the thing that inspired me to write my dissertation on it. They authorities say that the missing people may have got lost in the caves and possibly been washed into the underground rivers.

It was really difficult to any sense out of anyone in the area, its all very hush hush. Apart from that the area is sooooo beautiful.

Anybody fancy doing a ghost expedition? hehe.

My OH uses the Winnats Pass at least twice a month on their way to Stockport, in a car with the doors locked of course, they're never too happy on a very foggy day like today but, they've been doing the journey for many years and never seen anything spooky yet.

The sheep are the scariest things on Winnat's, they really have a death wish!

The sheep are the scariest things on Winnat's, they really have a death wish!

My wife has a theory that there are two types of sheep in the world - 'flat sheep' - that stand about on flat fields or 'hilly sheep' that can stand on hills as steep as winnats. When queired about this thoery asked how she simply says that the hilly sheep have telescopic legs.

Back to the topic - my old grandfather used to drive for a brewery - always came back talking about the bloody awful journey over the 'shivering mountain' (Mam Tor)- for years as a kid I had nightmares of this mountain shaking off anyone who dared to travel up its sides.

Little ironic that years later a friend of mine was killed running down one of the paths on Mam Tor - he slipped and fell down the steep shale hill - apparantly he was not a pretty sight when they found him at the bottom

I know where your coming from there:). I must admit i have neglected the cycling this year. Probably the reason for being so fat now!:hihi:

Coming down on fixed wheel is even worse. I attempted it once on a fixed cog (12 teeth) and the screams echoed for miles so they said. So if you ever hear any screams down Winnats Pass they're probably the echoes of my original efforts.

I bought a leaflet on a school trip which explained the story. Bare in mind this was 20 years ago, but I seem to remember that there were 5 miners, not 3. The couple were travelling through Winnats Pass one evening when they stopped in a local pub. They had a few drinks and started flashing the cash a bit in front of some miners. When they left the pub (woman on the horse) and the bloke walking alongside, 5 miners robbed them for their money and murdered them with a pick axe. There bodies were hidden somewhere and never found, but the saddle from the horse was on display (I can't remember what happened to the horse itself). Following on from the incident, each of the miners died in mysterious circumstances. If I recall correctly, one died from illness, another went mad with guilt and threw himself of a rock face, another hung himself, and I can't remember the rest! Anyway, that's more or less what happened, but as I said at the start, it was a good 20 years ago since I read the leaflet!

• 8 months later...

Archived