Does anyone remember this holiday place

Fairthorn has its own thread here. It was established at Redmires in the 1920s, as a convalescent home for sickly or underweight children. They would be well fed and could play games etc. and go on long walks, as well as being given jobs to do. In 1934 the home moved to a large building at Dore. It closed in 1971.

I was at Nether Green junior school - 1956 to 1961. Fairthorn used to have a little booklet showing black and white pictures of cute kids, I think you paid a small amount to buy a book, or maybe a page from the book, the money going to Fairthorn.

I remember the book of pictures of kiddies that you'd "buy" for coppers.

It was called "Sunny Smiles", but I don't remember it being for Iairthorne, I thought it was for the NSPCC or Dr Barnardos homes.

• 1 year later...

I remember Fairthorne really well as I lived there for about 6 years in the 50s. My Mum & Dad (Barbara & Harry Chumbley) were warden and matron there. My name is Kathryn and my brother's Peter. Fairthorne was at the top of Townhead Rd in Dore - down a long drive and looking across to the moors. We left there for Norfolk when I was 11 but I can remember the exact layout of the house and grounds. In those days children came for one month at a time; girls one month, boys the next and there were normally about 25. There were two resident house assistants (Margaret Moody and Edna Walton) who helped with the children and domestic duties. I can also remember daily cooks, Miss Ollerenshaw and Vi Stormont.

Sharing my Mum & Dad with 25 other kids was an unusual childhood but they were generally happy years. My brother and I went to Dore school and the worst part was having to set off for school every morning knowing that all those other kids were going to have a great time playing rounders, going for picnics etc in our absence!

Looking back, I am amazed how the place ran thanks to the charitable donations of the people of Sheffield. The schoolteachers on the committee worked tirelessly to raise funds and my parents used to hold Bring & Buy coffee mornings at Fairthorne as well.

• 5 years later...

Hello Katrine,

, I used to play with you and your brother Peter,you were Cathy then, my mum was Vi Stormont, we lived at 55 townhall rd. There was a stream and lots of fields, we left Dore about 1960, can't be precise , my Dad took a job in Cambridge, I also remember Julia Geddes whose family moved to Bognor Regis.

Alan

How great to hear from you, Alan,

I remember those days so well, playing at Fairthorne with you, my brother and Michael Franklyn from the farm. I was very fond of your Mum (she had a great sense of humour) and wasn't your Dad, Gordon, a t.v engineer? I can remember having a great day at Flamborough Head with you and your family (when we went into a very slippery cave and Peter fell into a rock pool and screamed his head off!) We were so late getting back to Dore that your Mum decided to let us stay the night at your house which we thought was very exciting. Do you remember when we went to Julia Geddes' bonfire night party and scrumped apples in their orchard? We were made to turn our pockets out and got into deep trouble!

My Mum used to have a photo that Vi sent her of you and your Mum taken a year or so after we all left Dore. Where are you now? I have been living in France for the past 17 years and haven't been back to Sheffield for many years as all relatives there now deceased.

Best wishes, hope to hear from you again. Kathy.

Hello Kathy,

Raymondo is well out, If my memory serves me right, and it isnt that good, it was a fifteen minute walk up townhall rd. I do remember going to Flamborough my parents had a caravan at Thornwick bay, I went for a look recently and very different now. I do remember Julia's bonfire partys but not getting into trouble for scrumping but I probably was in trouble so often it would not be memorable. I do remember climbing my dads radio tower with her and the trouble that caused.

I live in Lincolnshire now, my Wife died a couple of years ago and relatives on the Stormont side have all but died out, still some from my Mothers side in Sheffield but I dont go there very often,( Hate the tramlines and congestion)

Dore very different now and no longer in Derbyshire and I doubt they still have well dressing,

A couple more names from Dore school come to mind, Malcolm Dibner, George and Judy Tyson and Jenifer Bonsul

My email is astormont@btinternet.com

Alan