Council proposes city centre zonal drinking areas

Andy C

Following press release can be found on the City Council website at http://sccplugins.sheffield.gov.uk/press/news/release.asp?akey=2400

Vibrant nightlife, cosmopolitan cafes, chic shops, culture and the arts, together with havens of tranquillity - all this and more is on the cards as Councillor Tim Rippon hails a new vision for Sheffield’s city centre.

As Councillor Rippon addresses a meeting of the Council’s Cabinet today (Wednesday 10 November), Councillors will be told of plans to create a city centre that cuts across all ages and groups of people, offering a unique experience for everyone who uses it or lives there. Whether its clubbing, eating and drinking, taking in a show or visiting Sheffield for festivals and events, the Council aims to make the city centre accessible to a much wider audience.

“We will have a range of powers under the new Licensing Act, which we can use to reduce crime and disorder, boost tourism and create a city centre that everyone can enjoy”, explains Councillor Rippon, Cabinet Member for Economic Regeneration and Planning Policy.

“City centre living is now huge, Sheffield’s clubbing scene is first-class, we have the largest theatre complex outside London and chic café bars are popping up all over the place. Now it’s time to step up the pace and create a world-class city centre that on the one hand caters to all tastes and age-ranges while on the other hand gives regard to the variety of lifestyles in the city centre.”

The new Act will enable the Council to consider a whole host of factors when granting licences to sell alcohol and food or to provide music and dancing. It means the Council will be able to create an eclectic mix of residential and relaxing areas as well as ‘reveller’ areas for those who want to make merry late into the night!

Recent city centre successes include the hugely popular Fright Night Halloween party and the Summer Beach in the Peace Gardens. With changes to the Licensing Law due to come in effect in 2005, Sheffield can expect to see many more activities creating a buzz in the city centre, along with a good mix of art, entertainment and culture to suit all tastes

based on past performance they seem to have turned the city centre in to a haven for drunkards looking for a fight with the granting of licenses to multiple identikit bars, that all have to close at 11 meaning that everyone spills onto the streets and either crams into the one or two bars that actually have a late license, start fights or just go home.

As for 'first-class' clubbing, don't make me laugh! It is obvious that this councillor does not go clubbing and has no idea idea what the clubbing scene is outside of the numbers and statistics that are pushed under his nose. The Sheffield clubbing scene has long been in decline, and this is largely due to the backwards attitude of the council and the ridiculously convoluted process that venues have to go through to get a club license. In the past year bed, charles st, element and the fez club have all closed down. These were all venues that catered for something outside of the cheesy saturday night and offered a good mix of nights that actually catered for people who were in to the music - drum & bass arena, scuba, coalition, phonetics, jungle juice, and pink pandemonium promotions to name just a few. Outside of cheesy 'townie' nights there really is so much less choice than there used to be, especially at weekends, and that really is a shame because Sheffield is brimming with so many enthusiastic promoters just waiting to be given a chance to inject some much needed diversity back into Sheffield's nightlife.

Sheffield's clubbing scene will continue to be in decline until the council sort themselves out start licensing more nightclubs to alleviate the chronic lack of venues that Sheffield currently has, rather than pandering to the 'city centre dwellers' and their 'right to peace'. They chose to live in a major city centre, what do they expect?!!!

:rant: :rant: :rant:

ok, rant over, I get a bit wound up on this subject!

Bassman-x, If only I had your way with words.

So what do promoters have to do. They find places, put the nights on and hope the powers that be don't find out about them. Dont advertise them and use word of mouth.

Warehouses, dodgy pubs in the ****ty bits of Sheffield, mates house, music studios, rehersal rooms, Attercliffe common, The peaks.

Sheffield music, I think is on the cusp of breaking through nationwide in spite of the council. Sheffield has never had so many signed bands and the stuff coming out of studios like 2fly, yellow arch and all the others is mostly stunning and this is before I start ranting on about Hiem, Kings have long arms, grandadbob, and all the other electronica ( crap phrase) stuff that is coming out.

We have had for the last few years clubnights that are recognised throughout the country for their quality. Headcharge, Urban Gorrilla and Drum and Bass Arena, Tuesday club ect

Lights down low, and Razor Stilletto deserve to be up there with them and there is a lot of people putting on some stunning nights that you don't get to hear of

Sheffield has got a fantasic music scene if you go and look for it, from world music, blues, rock indie, jazz to the many differing forms of dance music.

I'm lucky, I'm involved in the rock/indie side of music in Sheffield and the free party/ club nights side as well but I'm getting to the point of jacking it in.

" It means the Council will be able to create an eclectic mix of residential and relaxing areas as well as ‘reveller’ areas for those who want to make merry late into the night!

I love the term "reveller" areas whats that then. A fenced off area where the BBC and OCS can get coked up and go for it.

It's a joke

How much money does the council spend on getting these 3rd or 4th rate acts to come to Sheffield. I would be interested in finding out how much Phixx and darius get paid and compare that to the amount of funding that has been cut from Red Tape over the last couple of years.

I will carry on ranting about this tomorrow when my blood is simmering and not boiling.

I have a feeling this is a sign of the council developing their licensing policy, ready for when the new regime starts next year.

They seem to have carved the city centre up and desginated each bit with a specific character, and will bear this in mind when deciding what new bars/pubs/clubs etc gets granted licences.

For example the West Street/Division Street area will probably be the 'reveller' zone, as there are a lot of lively party type bars, late bars and clubs up that end, whereas the area round the Peace Gardens is more high quality, relaxed and quiet, and the cultural industries quarter a more traditional scene.

As ludicrous as it may sound, they may have the right idea to a degree, as it will mean there will be room in the city centre for everyone.

i think having a central area for drinking/clubbing etc is a great idea, it makes it like a resort almost and will bring in loads of people. You should see newcastle quayside at the weekend, which has become a designated area for bars and restauraunts etc. It is just what sheffield needs, to get some national recognition.

see if they have different opening hours in different areas we can have lots of little regional drunken violence instead of spread out.....:suspect:

I suspect it will be a horrible mess.....

Originally posted by jazz

i think having a central area for drinking/clubbing etc is a great idea, it makes it like a resort almost and will bring in loads of people. You should see newcastle quayside at the weekend, which has become a designated area for bars and restauraunts etc. It is just what sheffield needs, to get some national recognition.

I not against the idea of 'zones', just that I have no confidence in the council to implement it. I fear that they will look at it as a series of figures, like they have x number of bars in area y and capacity for z revellers. They won't actually look behind these figures to what the diversity there is, and I'm sure it will be venues offering alternative 'underground' music that will suffer and the big chain bars who have the money to buy up or rent expensive city centre properties who will be winners, resulting in yet more homogenisation of the variety of venues on offer.

Archived