Mystery steelworks photo

stevo

just some feed back on the tommy wards,yes tommy wards was at the wicker but what about tommy wards scrap yard that is where the other meadowhall retail park now stands because you had to walk up lock house lane pass the tinsley hotel to the canal and the footbridge that went over the railway lines you could see right into tommy wards scrap yard from there also I think it was edgar allans rolling mills that was in front of tommy wards and at the other side of it was the gec works.

• 2 weeks later...

I would say it is more than likely Thos Firths, as Wards had TWW on their wagons, Firths was on the site of Meadowhall and was flattened for the greater god of all women(shopping) in about 88/89 ish, try Firth Rixson Forgings, I believe this is the same company and they may have some old photos, I have some old maps(V large scale) and shall dig them out and have a look

• 2 weeks later...

may be meadowhall steel works, who built railway engines in the late 1860's this is located on the left side just before the north bound M1 junction from meadowhall north

see my website, http://www.photodays.co.uk

for more pictures, these are not fully titled but gives details of the derilict steel works, which is now in the process of being demolished.

hope this helps

john

No, I have a larger resolution scan which I will e mail to anyone on request, who will supply their e mail address, which I will keep confidential. I do not have the original, as it does not belong to me.

If you want the full scan e mail your request entitled 'Mystery steelworks photo' to

stephen.eblet@virgin.net

The photo is in fact a double exposure. The steelworks image is the more prominent image, but there is a small group portrait at 90 degrees to the main image and underlying it.

Apparently this may be result of the cost of the glass plates used to make the images, being expensive and therefore they were untilised more than once.

Archived