Sheffield is getting soooooooo boring!

bubbly_bird8

Define underground?

Music with a cult following largely ignored (or unnoticed) by the masses. You could argue some of the harder variations of techno are underground. Electronica, 8-bit and other experimental forms also. Maybe the free-party scene falls into it too.

I've always thought of underground club nights as things that are hard to come by, that only a very few or dedicated bunch are aware of. The kind of events that can't afford to spend hundreds on promotion, or the sort you find out about on the night.

To quote the brilliant Frank Zappa: "The mainstream comes to you, but you have to go to the underground."

Music with a cult following largely ignored (or unnoticed) by the masses. You could argue some of the harder variations of techno are underground. Electronica, 8-bit and other experimental forms also. Maybe the free-party scene falls into it too.

I've always thought of underground club nights as things that are hard to come by, that only a very few or dedicated bunch are aware of. The kind of events that can't afford to spend hundreds on promotion, or the sort you find out about on the night.

To quote the brilliant Frank Zappa: "The mainstream comes to you, but you have to go to the underground."

I think unfortunately the advancement of online music means that nothing is really underground anymore, just unpopular.

It's really difficult in Sheffield to even promote an event which is in what might be considered the mainstream (eg dnb, electro, funk etc). The free party scene has a died a death though compared to four or five years ago.

I think it's really easy to say Sheffield is getting boring when the simple fact is the majority of people are not bothered where they go (and just end up following the crowd) and there's just not enough demand for the alternatives.

I think unfortunately the advancement of online music means that nothing is really underground anymore, just unpopular.

Interesting point... Not sure I agree entirely, but I see where you're coming from.

It's really difficult in Sheffield to even promote an event which is in what might be considered the mainstream (eg dnb, electro, funk etc).

Has it ever been easy? :) It's pretty difficult to promote any kind of event! Though I assume it's all the more difficult for you as you have the cost of running DQ to consider as well!

The free party scene has a died a death though compared to four or five years ago.

To an extent yes, the days of whistle-blowers turning up in the thousands at roadside parties are well gone.... Though there have been free parties from crews in Sheffield and Manchester almost every weekend throughout summer. I've not enjoyed any I've been to this year, too much emphasis on breaks and dub. Dub at an outdoor free party???

I think it's really easy to say Sheffield is getting boring when the simple fact is the majority of people are not bothered where they go (and just end up following the crowd) and there's just not enough demand for the alternatives.

Sadly that's true, there have been some great nights over the last year, with hardly anyone at them. There have been a few exceptions: C90 have put on a great night every time I've been, and the Sequence events in Manchester have been killer too.

I'd like to see clubs be a bit braver with their line-ups, particularly those with more than one room. But then, I don't have to pay the bills...

I go out every weekend, but it's just seems all the same lol. Isn't cubana and leadmill rock music places?

Cubana plays Latin American music. It does have a "vibe" to it after 10pm. Their dance nights are only short, and on specific days but if you pick up the dance, it's pretty fun to join in.

Leadmill is a club. It has different nights. The place is better than Embrace imho. That is, if you're into warehouse type clubs and not just a clean commercially looking club like Embrace.

Green Room is just a pub, but it plays a nice set. I only discovered this place a while back.

What's happening at Shhh/Void these days? Not seen anything advertised for a while.

They're having a refit - think they're due to reopen in late Oct? I'd assume they're applying for a permanent license as up until now I believe everything has been done on temp licenses.

We're bringing our night from Leeds to Sheffield for every 2nd Friday of the month. Its called Dirty Disco and we have on Damian Lazurus, Jamie Jones, Tom Neville, Filthy Rich, Cassette Jam and more, we put on all sorts of acts but mainly techno, were doing it at the Sheffield Union, they've been refurbing it all summer and it looks wicked!

Check our myspace myspace/thedirtydisco

Sorry for the spam but couldn't resist!

Archived