Concord Middle School 1972-73

stevo

When I was at Shiregreen School,The Senior School consisted of various huts and out buildings, and the upper floor of the main building was the main Senior School where we had assembly P.E.

and School dinners . There were two School yards one for lads and one for lasses.....The ground floor was the infant or primery School....I also went there, started at the age of 5...Further down bracken road was the Junior School a single story building with two School yard, a small one at the rear of the school for the younger juniors, and a larger yard at the bottom end alongside Winkobank Avenue..Over the wall from both Schools was "THE QUARRY" it was a working quarry in those days and in the eavnings some of the lads would strip down to the nudy and swim there (brave souls) with the lasses onlooking.

The quarry was strictly out of bounds as far as the school was concerned due to a few drowning incidents, and I received many canings for trespassing over that wall. I'm amazed when you say you used to run round it....Just what part of these three schools became Concord.

I could not have expressed the sentiment of your reply in such a way Timo.

You sum up the relationship between the Shiregreeners and Wincobank kids very well there.

Sometimes if the bus was late, the Shiregreeners did get their chance to confront the Concord kids and I can recall one or two scraps as we tried to board the bus. I recall that the Shiregreeners would just appear from their own school, as our bus was pulling in at the bus stop and all hell would break loose. I even had a guy try to lure me into his car at that bus stop, but I just kept shaking my head and he drove off. That episode still makes me quiver, as I was stood in a group and he beckoned me alone.

I remember that Concord School seemed to occupy the upper floor of the building only, as my youngest brother attended a nusery on the ground floor. We still have his nursery photo somewhere. I don't know when Concord School ceased to exist, but I believe it is no longer known by that name.

Timbuck,

Concord was in the upper storey of what you refer to as the main building.

Yes I distinctly remember cross country running. The route took us out of the front of the school and down towards Bellhouse Road. Turning right we would run up Bellhouse road and then turn right again towards Concord Park main gate. I think this is Wincobank Avenue. Somewhere down there on the right was a way into the disused quarry. We would then circumnavigate the quarry in a clockwise direction, before rentering the school.

I recall the most dangerous part of the run, was nearesr to Shiregreen school, behind some corporation houses, where the bank was rather steep and there appeared to be a severe incline towards the murky waters below!

Did you know that the main building was once a hostpital during the 1st world war..It sounds like you needed one in those days..I used to walk/run all the way home every day on the route you describe as the cross country run..Concord Park gates are at the top of Shiregreen Lane where I lived...Some of my mates lived in Hartlebrook "even further" and they used to treck there every day, Nowadays Range Rovers and other four wheeled drive motors do the same journey," thus fat kids"..but I'm not implying that you two are overweight.

By the way?? why are you sat at a computer on Saturday night?

I'm a pensioner whats your excuse????.

Stevo,

Do you recall the infamous winter cross-country atrocity case at Concord? Around 1972, the best part of our year were made to run cross country style around the then Shiregreen Quarry in conditions that began as a few snowflakes in the air, and worsened to a freezing, Arctic blizzard. Mr Abbott, who also doubled as a teacher of French ["Ecoute les Enfants!!"] was responsible, although he has yet to be tried at The European Court. I feigned illness, knowing the meaning of a darkening sky and basked in the warmth of the classroom, reading comics. The rest of the year had to do two laps, and I remember the sight of my fellows weeping and shivering en masse covered in mud, snow and childblains like some survivors of trench bombardment at Ypres as teachers tried desperately to dry them with towels. Mr Abbott looked on anxiously. I watched my fellow creatures in their abject misery, and then crept back to the warmth of the mobile classroom to perfect a bogus cough, and to congratulate myself for having the good sense to feign illness.

I don't recall that particular incident Timo, although I do recall learning to swim rather vividly. I think this episode occured however, when we were pupils at Wincobank School.

The school used to use the old Sutherland Road swimming baths (Is the building still there?) and I recall that the class as a whole was summonsed by the swimming instructor (resident at the pool), to the deep end.

I can still recall the fear (remember I was a timid kid) as we were ordered towards the ladder, to see who could swim and rather more importantly to me - who couldn't!

Seven years old and trembilng with fear, I was ordered down the ladder and into the deep end. There followed a great bellowing from the swimming instructor. Apparently I had to let go of the ladder. I let go and promptly sank.

Before I had time to get to the part where ones whole life flashes by, I felt a plastic ring around my neck and I was unceremoniously hauled back to the surface. Boy did it hurt! I didn't sink again and i quickly realised that all of a sudden I could actually swim after all!

Stumbled upon this site searching for old school links.

Nice to see the old photo !

I was in the same year but not that class although I can recognise and remember a few names and faces. I remember the old quarry and running around it and the air raid shelters and rough ground where we used to play footie.

I think the houses were called "Millhouses, Endcliffe, Weston and Graves" after the parks !

The last two years at Concord I was in Mr Kemps then Mr Cox's classes the latter was a great old guy even though he made our class endure having to do Ballroom dancing.

I also lived on Standon Road (near to the top).

All for now

RexT