Do we have a Jewish community in Sheffield?

Sheffield Jews, the Cantor's, Bronx's, Swytzer's, Caplan's, Rothman's, Blaskey's, Sugarman's, Davison's to name but a few.

<snipped>

cantors furniture, haymans bookmakers and jewellrs, lishmans coal,loads of tailors and loads of others contributed to the sheffield community and were jewish. if our latest influx of so called refugees contribute half as much we will be ok.

The Cass family, of the excellent jewellers on Surrey Street were/are Jewish, too. My Grandma was their "Mrs Overall" through the 1960's and 1970s.

I never realised that the Blaskeys were Jewish. The names Cantor, and Schwytzer/Swytzer are fairly obvious.

The catchment area for my secondary school covered the area near Wilson Road, and thee were quite a few Jewish families at my school, including my best friend, Ruth, as I mentioned before.

Another family I was friends with were the Cahms. (I believe their family, and that of my other friends, the Zelickmans, both ended up here in the UK, around the turn of the last century, as a result of the Russian pogroms.)

When I was at King Ted's (1959-66) there were about a dozen Jewish boys there. They were bright lads and most of them went on to university. Their families seemed fully integrated, though they did have their own morning assembly with Joe Oppenheimer, a Jewish teacher who had escaped from Germany in the 1930s (great bloke)..:)

What's with CatzeyesF? Isn't it amazing to live in a solid town built on hills, surrounded everywhere with the most beautiful countryside? People are friendly there. When I came down to London in 1957 I had to get used to net curtains to stop people looking in (my favourite pastime). In Sheffield I knew people up and down my road (Bannerdale) and was in and out of their houses. In London I never went next door for the 16 years I lived there, and only knew people in about 2 houses in my street. You don't know when you're lucky.

What's with CatzeyesF? Isn't it amazing to live in a solid town built on hills, surrounded everywhere with the most beautiful countryside? People are friendly there. When I came down to London in 1957 I had to get used to net curtains to stop people looking in (my favourite pastime). In Sheffield I knew people up and down my road (Bannerdale) and was in and out of their houses. In London I never went next door for the 16 years I lived there, and only knew people in about 2 houses in my street. You don't know when you're lucky.

Well said.The grass is always greener so to speak

..I never realised that the Blaskeys were Jewish.
Yes - Jacob Blaski (originally it was Blashki - a transcription of Блашкій) came from Russia via Leeds in the 1880s. His granddaughter Sonia Blaskey is still going strong at 92 and lives at Totley. There is a Blaskey thread here.

Yes - Jacob Blaski (originally it was Blashki - a transcription of Блашкій) came from Russia via Leeds in the 1880s. His granddaughter Sonia Blaskey is still going strong at 92 and lives at Totley. There is a Blaskey thread here.

Wow! Fascinating, that's two new facts I can say I learnt to day! :D thank you for that information, Hillsboro.

I wonder if Blaskey's family were victims of the pogroms?

Scrub that last comment - I've just seen your reply of Last November, stating that they were part of the pogrom emigres.

• 4 weeks later...

I did not realise how far back dated this thread is (kinda is) I just wanted to add I have seen plenty of Orthodox Jewish people around Brincliffe where the old Sheffield Health building used to be (not sure if it is still there now) & also where I used to work in Pitsmoor a couple of my patients were Jewish.

I love the comment "You'll never see a poor Jew" Jewish folk run the world & the Arab's are not too far behind ;)

I didn't notice any desecration at the Jewish Cemetery between Parsons Cross and Ecclesfield when I attended a funeral there a couple of months ago. I was there for the funeral of Tony Winston who was my Best Man's step-father. He used to run the chemist on Ecclesall Road opposite Yankees.

It was the first Jewish funeral I had been to, quite interesting but a little long-winded IMO. I noticed how all the gravestones, bereft of any flowers whatsoever, lie facing east. It was a pretty little cemetery. Further, in the 1970s, when I lived in Ranmoor, our neigbour was a Mrs Kaddisch (sp?) - another name synonymous with Sheffield's small Jewish community. And then there are the Patnicks of course.

The entourage that made the journey up the M1 for Tony's funeral consisted of many top class cars like Mercedez and large 4 by 4s. I think it's true that they know how to look after the pennies!!

As I said, my Best Man was indeed my best mate during school days and I don't think he suffered any more abuse than your average fourteen year old going through puberty and the tedium of school. The main difference between me and him was that he was always better on guitar than me and he still is!

I reckon if my grandad Herbert was still around, he'd regale us in a story or two about Sheffield's Jewish community!

I worked for Tony Winston in the ealy 70's, his father (I believe) had owned a drapery business in Sheffield city centre before his retirement, he used to come to the chemist shop every day and just sit in the pharmacy in the back. Tony had twin sons who were toddlers when I worked there, Tony was immensely proud of them.

There was a very large Jewish community on Ecclesall Road at the time I worked there, it was a complete eye-opener for me as I knew nothing about Jews until I worked there. Many of the local shops there were owned by Jews and they offered discounts on purchases within the Jewish community, they didn't like the fact that you hadn't recognised them as Tony's friends when they walked in the chemist's, they were used to their discounts!