Do we have a Jewish community in Sheffield?

I worked for Tony Winston in the ealy 70's, his father (I believe) had owned a drapery business in Sheffield city centre before his retirement, he used to come to the chemist shop every day and just sit in the pharmacy in the back. Tony had twin sons who were toddlers when I worked there, Tony was immensely proud of them.

There was a very large Jewish community on Ecclesall Road at the time I worked there, it was a complete eye-opener for me as I knew nothing about Jews until I worked there. Many of the local shops there were owned by Jews and they offered discounts on purchases within the Jewish community, they didn't like the fact that you hadn't recognised them as Tony's friends when they walked in the chemist's, they were used to their discounts!

The main Synagogue was at hunters bar, Duffems, on Wilson Road.

In Judaism, there are laws about how far you can travel on the Sabbath, without breaking the sabbath laws, so, by necessity, the community would have to be within x-distance of the Synagogue, so that the families can walk to the Sabbath prayers there.

I class myself as culturally jewish, that is, I come from a jewish family that in the past practised the religion and considered themselves of jewish faith.

However, both my parents' familieis stopped practicisng before I was born, but retained a lot of the cultural practices and traditions e.g. Yiddish sayings, kosher food.

Therefore, I am aware of my jewish heritage, but as an agnostic, don't follow the religious side or consider myself a jew in terms of religion.

I'm unaware of a large jewish community in Sheffield, although had seen the synagogue in Hunters Bar. It's certainly not as large or as evident as in Leeds or Manchester, or indeed north London where I am from.

It has been interesting to read on this thread about the eastern european jews who did settle in Sheffield and the contribution they have made to the city.

• 8 months later...

Just read the entire thread, much of it from 3 years ago. Very interesting. My Great Great Grandmothers family left Germany in the late 1800s. They settled in the Heeley area. Her family name was Wessendilja but they changed it to Dilja because they deemed it too German. My Great Great Grandmother married an Englishman and my Great Grandad was born. Altough he was never a practising Jew he grew up on Gleadless Road and was very proud of his Jewish roots although he took his Father's name Ford. He sunk pits for a living and met my Great Grandmother in the pit village of Rossington, Doncaster. My Mother was born there and family still live there today. My Great Grandparents are sadly not with us today but it's a great story. The Dilja's left Germany at the right time that's for sure!

Why are people such wimps that they use the phrases "Jewish community" and "Jewish people".

The correct word, and much easier to type, is Jews. People think the word Jew is an insult, but it isn't! It's more of an insult not to use the word.

Back to the main topic. There has never been a sizeable Jewish population in Sheffield, but I don't know the historical reason for this. Cities like Manchester, Leeds and Newcastle have notable numbers of Jews.

When the Synagogue on Wilson Road, off Ecclesall Road at the Hunters Bar end, was open they were a lot more visible as they could be seen wandering along Ecclesall Road on the Sabbath. There were some shops that catered for them including Berkeley Precinct Tesco and the Safeway at the bottom of Ecclesall Road, now Waitrose. It's good to hear that Waitrose continues to cater for the Sheffield Jews.

There was also a Kosher Butchers occupying the space where the hair salon is on the other side of Wadborough Road from the St Luke's shop.

Now that they have moved to the Psalter Lane Jewish centre they are a lot less visible, in fact almost invisible. I think it's a loss.