Do we have a Jewish community in Sheffield?

Why are people such wimps that they use the phrases "Jewish community" and "Jewish people".

The correct word, and much easier to type, is Jews. People think the word Jew is an insult, but it isn't! It's more of an insult not to use the word.

Back to the main topic. There has never been a sizeable Jewish population in Sheffield, but I don't know the historical reason for this. Cities like Manchester, Leeds and Newcastle have notable numbers of Jews.

When the Synagogue on Wilson Road, off Ecclesall Road at the Hunters Bar end, was open they were a lot more visible as they could be seen wandering along Ecclesall Road on the Sabbath. There were some shops that catered for them including Berkeley Precinct Tesco and the Safeway at the bottom of Ecclesall Road, now Waitrose. It's good to hear that Waitrose continues to cater for the Sheffield Jews.

There was also a Kosher Butchers occupying the space where the hair salon is on the other side of Wadborough Road from the St Luke's shop.

Now that they have moved to the Psalter Lane Jewish centre they are a lot less visible, in fact almost invisible. I think it's a loss.

Why is it ? :huh:

Why is it ? :huh:

cos' some of us enjoy being in a visibly diverse and multicultural environment, where you can easily and openly experience the benefits bought to the area by people from different backgrounds.

i'd kill for a good salt beef bagel about now.

i'll have to put up with a god awful 'breadcake' stuffed with low grade fried eggs and the paste sausages that pass for food round here...

I have often noticed an orthodox Jewish family walking to the synagogue on Saturdays, albeit that they only live round the corner on Lyndhurst Road.

The problem that Sheffield Jews have is that there is a distinct shortage of Jewess's. The religion is maternal passing down from the female line, my male Jewish friends have all married out of the faith, and the female ones that I know will no longer be dictated to by rules going back thousands of years.

The only chance that the faith has of surviving long term is the state of Israel.

Why are people such wimps that they use the phrases "Jewish community" and "Jewish people".

The correct word, and much easier to type, is Jews.

Because the word Jew is heavily associated with anti-semitism when used by non-Jews because of it's associations with it's use in 19th and 20th century anti-semitism. It was used as a slur and the phrase to 'jew' someone still exists meaning to con. I'm very politically incorrect but I avoid using the word Jew because it does have bad connotations and prefer to say Jewish.

You could say it's the 'correct' term but 'Yid' is yiddish for Jew so is a correct term but you wouldn't say it was okay to call someone Jewish that.

Because the word Jew is heavily associated with anti-semitism when used by non-Jews because of it's associations with it's use in 19th and 20th century anti-semitism. It was used as a slur and the phrase to 'jew' someone still exists meaning to con. I'm very politically incorrect but I avoid using the word Jew because it does have bad connotations and prefer to say Jewish.

You could say it's the 'correct' term but 'Yid' is yiddish for Jew so is a correct term but you wouldn't say it was okay to call someone Jewish that.

The term Jew is NOT offensive.

This is why there is so much trouble in the world, the PC brigade telling folk what upsets them. I was listening to a Pakistani guy being interviewed about racism, he said that the shortened version of the word Pakistan, namely ****, had been hijacked by the PC brigade. He couldn't see the difference in that and Aussie, and neither can I.

It can be when it's used in certain ways which is why a lot of people avoid it. Gentiles referring to people as 'Jews' in the early part of the last century was generally done in a derogatory way. I know in the 1980s in Higher Broughton in Manchester most non-Jewish people who lived in the area (which is Jewish) didn't use the phrase Jew because there were still many holocaust survivors in the area and the language was associated with anti-semitism so they chose not to use it. I still do and plenty of other people feel the same way. Plus there are plenty of people who do still use the word 'Jew' or 'Jews' as opposed to Jewish purely because they DO mean to be derogatory which is another reason I don't use it.

This is why there is so much trouble in the world, the PC brigade telling folk what upsets them. I was listening to a Pakistani guy being interviewed about racism, he said that the shortened version of the word Pakistan, namely ****, had been hijacked by the PC brigade. He couldn't see the difference in that and Aussie, and neither can I.

exactly my best friend is Pakistani and she finds **** inoffensive however if its being used in a derogatory way i'm sure she wouldn't

It can be when it's used in certain ways which is why a lot of people avoid it. Gentiles referring to people as 'Jews' in the early part of the last century was generally done in a derogatory way. I know in the 1980s in Higher Broughton in Manchester most non-Jewish people who lived in the area (which is Jewish) didn't use the phrase Jew because there were still many holocaust survivors in the area and the language was associated with anti-semitism so they chose not to use it. I still do and plenty of other people feel the same way. Plus there are plenty of people who do still use the word 'Jew' or 'Jews' as opposed to Jewish purely because they DO mean to be derogatory which is another reason I don't use it.

see post 74

Its time to claim back the term Jew as a positive term!

see post 74

Its time to claim back the term Jew as a positive term!

Jew is just a description of a people. I think it's favoured by the State of Israel and it's also used by the BBC. People who are shy of using it are just being wimps about their own language.