Edward street flats

typhoo

Looby?? Gawd, that brought back memories, I think he was in my class at school. Was it Mark Harrison??

*Smiles*

Angi

Can anyone recall Chris Small (Smally) sadly no longer with us. I worked with him on the railways in the mid 80s and he was a good friend. I know that his mother lived on the flats because he once took me there to see her (lovely woman). Chris's father Ezra, also worked on the railways but before my time.

I also knew the Dunks family and Looby (Mark Anson ? I think).

Happy days:)

• 1 month later...

My family moved into the flats in 1949 when I was 2 and we were the first in on the new side of the flats. We lived on the top landing, my mum only wanted a top flat. I remember the names of some of the families, Dunks, Moorbys, Frosts, Oxleys. My best friend was Catherine Behan who lived on there also. My name was Pizzuti and I went to St. Vincent's school and after to Notre Dame.

Anyone remember the name? We used to make ice cream in Sheffield and had a shop on Gibraltar St,

Can anyone recall Chris Small (Smally) sadly no longer with us. I worked with him on the railways in the mid 80s and he was a good friend. I know that his mother lived on the flats because he once took me there to see her (lovely woman). Chris's father Ezra, also worked on the railways but before my time.

I also knew the Dunks family and Looby (Mark Anson ? I think).

Happy days:)

I remember Smalley well, he was a real character. I used to see him all over the place, and everyone seemed to know him. Sad what happened to him. I did see him a few times on Edward st flats as my dad also lived there.

My family moved into the flats in 1949 when I was 2 and we were the first in on the new side of the flats. We lived on the top landing, my mum only wanted a top flat. I remember the names of some of the families, Dunks, Moorbys, Frosts, Oxleys. My best friend was Catherine Behan who lived on there also. My name was Pizzuti and I went to St. Vincent's school and after to Notre Dame.

Anyone remember the name? We used to make ice cream in Sheffield and had a shop on Gibraltar St,

hi, spag, and welcome to the forum!

My aunt and uncle lived on Gibraltar Buildings, opposite the "Shakey", and I remember going to buy my sweets from Pizzuti's shop very well indeed. Very, very happy memories! :D

Hi

I used to live on edward street flats.

I have a younger brother called Mark Dawes and a sister called Eve Dawes.my parents were Pat & Arthur.

The oxley family are my cousins and I grew up with all the old gang of dunkses , beefy Hackett , Rob and his elder brother plummy, the mylnecks , dusty , and all the surrounding area of people, bomber, dot , crawshaws and albert who use to live near farrs paper shop. and all the rest.

jesus they were great .

God I could go on for months with such amazing wonderful memories of when I grew up there ,( they were what you called real friends and I wouldn't swop them for the world.)

I use to go to netherthorpe school and play on ponderosa on a sunday or can you remember how we all use to have a game in the middle of the flats ( except when we had a visit from sally army at easter etc.) and then the bathfield.

And who mentioned Alice moby ?

I have recently seen jean barber ( use to be ) and she is looking great.

Love to all of the old uns.

Mick Dawes

Hi, I have just read your post, the message on the gravestone in st georges was amazing , I can still remember every bloody word. it said

To warn the reader death is near

now thou art reading mine

but watch and pray for in a short space

someone standing in thy place

may ponder over thine...

god it is so memorable that I along with all the others who read it will never forget that one.

Also we use to have rope swings on the trees which sometimes went out over the wall onto mappin street.

lol Michael you have it word for word. lol. Yes I used to go to Netherthorpe School and then St Stephens thats how I got to know people off the flats, best time was around then and then the football matches on the ponderrosa, bloody hell I am sat here remembering loads of things now. I remember some kind of den or seomthing up near St Georges Church used to be under a building and was stil there when it was knocked down until they decided to dig it all out.

Oh wow what fun, like I say I did not live on there but has some bloody good laughs with people who did live there.

The old corner shop next to the Albion, and did they not open a chippy there as well. And I remember a chippy down the road near St Phillips club, and even further back a shop that did not have a till but wrote everything on a board to work it out in chalk oh god or am I dreaming that!! ha ha

thanks a lot, hope you are o.k, Yes it was sad about ellie, but no matter how s--t life gets things like that put it all in prospective and it makes you realise your'e only here once.and as it so wonderfully said on the back of her memorial service book,

don't cry because she has gone but smile because she happened.

How very true just like the memories of the old days in the neighberhood of the flats and surrounding area.

mum and dad now live across dual carriage way and will never move away from the area, its in their blood, and I still pop back most weeks and its great to still see some of the poeple around there.. as I always say ,genuine people from a genuine area and if you needed anything someone would always help, and it might have been rough and tough but I wouldn't swop it for the world, the memories are amazing ...We actually had the last function in the st phillips club before it was closed for my mum and dads 50th wedding anniversary.

Archived