The dolls hospital

H.P

Can anyone remember the dolls hospital on commonside?.. I was walking back from the co-op the other day and felt a bit nostalgic,

When I was a little girl I was scared of the dentist if I had been brave after a visit my father would take me to the dolls hospital and allow me to pick somthing. they used to sell eyeballs and voice boxes ect.. (for dolls of course) My last memory of the place was being the rather proud owner of a voice box, then sadly it closed and I was hartbroken anyone else remember this place?

Can't remember the one on Commonside (though I do remember a very nice baker's there that sold fantastic gingerbread men) but there was also a dolls hospital on Division Street - can't remember them selling all the bits and pieces though - I thought they just repaired dolls that people took in

• 2 months later...
Originally posted by Kristian

How did this not frighten you to death as a small child? It sounds more like a dolls abbattoir! :gag:

K x

What can I say I was a twisted child :loopy: but seriously, my dad allways took great care to explain to me that they were just spare parts for broken dollys

Originally posted by honeyplanet

What can I say I was a twisted child :loopy: but seriously, my dad allways took great care to explain to me that they were just spare parts for broken dollys

I would have had to lie down in a dark room, I'm sure! :P I was quite a sensitive child though. How I developed into a twisted blak-humoured adult, I'm not certain!

K x

yes i remember the one down london rd.in the fiftys my dad took me there to get my doll fixed when i was about 6 i wondered what they did with all the bits.when my daughter had a doll in the 70s and its arms fell off i had to send it to liecester to get it fixed it was a tiny tears doll they even sent a new dummy and a bottle for it how many woild do that now????now my grandaughter plays with it its still got all its limbs.

Guest poppins

I remember the one on Division st, they were always busy, mostly with arms and legs falling off because the elastic bands would break off inside, don't remember EYEBALLS, the older dolls didn't have movingeyeballs, just painted on ones, moving eyeballs came later on, no closing lids either back then.

Giving my age away now !

Archived