Who went to the Rex.

jeffbelsham

I saw Pete's Dragon, Herbie Goes To Monte Carlo and I think Close Encounters of the Third Kind.

It had circular windows if I remember correctly and a bit of a slope down to the front doors. The shop next door (still there) was called Marshalls I think.

This is the lates 70s though so I might be wrong.

I remember the Rex and yes i remember it all being red inside!

I saw Snow white and Pete`s dragon along with many many other films, shame it`s a Co-op now it would`ve been nice to have a cinema so close to home.

Yes I went to the Rex many times in the 50s with my mom. Saw many fantastic films...trouble was tho if we wanted to catch the bus home we had to leave 5 mins before the end...or else it was a long dark cold walk down Normanton Hill. Those days you really got value for money as we saw newsreel, cartoon, B picture and then the main picture.

Also used to go to Saturday matinee when I was preteen.

Along with the Manor Cinema, The Rex was my local cinema as a kid. My mum made my sister (as mums used to then) take me to see a double bill of A Hard Days Night and Help! I was only six but loved them both. Always remember the thrill of seeing the Beatles in colour. Im a massive fan of the Beatles now, it all started at the Rex! Also saw my first X film there, a double bill of Dirty Harry and Stand Up Virgin Soldiers. Dont have two films anymore do they? Its a real pity cinemas like the Rex had to close, they would make a fortune now but they suffered with the decline in cinemagoing in the seventies.

i used to go to the rex it was great an in walking distance from our house. we used to go every saturday think you paid thirty pence and stayed there all day showing different films for kids then at the end you would save you ticket and they would draw a raffle. i won human league don't you want me baby.

fun days lol:D

Archived