Cannot find Great Grandad's grave can anyone advise

PopT

My Great Grandfather died in the Sheffield Union Workhouse at Fir Vale in 1921.

I have tried to find where he was buried with no success.

They tell me the records of the workhouse were destroyed and that he could be buried in one of the many cemeteries in Sheffield who held contracts with the workhouse.

Can anyone advise me how I can resolve this mystery?

They tell me the records of the workhouse were destroyed and that he could be buried in one of the many cemeteries in Sheffield who held contracts with the workhouse.

The nearest cemetery would, I think, have been Burngreave. I don't know where the Burial Registers are but possibly here...

http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/safe--sound/bereavement/burial-records

...They tell me the records of the workhouse were destroyed...

Yes, by the luftwaffe.

I have seen some poor law regulations (I can't remember where) which stated that the family had a right to be consulted about the place of burial, even if they were unable to pay for a funeral. So where someone lived may still be a pointer to place of burial, even if they died in the workhouse.

If the people at City Road can't help, there are several groups and indivuduals working on indexing/transcribing burial records in Sheffield. If you post the name of your G.Grandfather, here or on one of the genealogical sites (eg the Sheffield Family History Society message board). Someone may able to help or advise.

Hugh

The burial records for Burngreave are held at City Road. They gave me the details for my grandmother's grave, from 1929. Give them a call, they are so helpful, they even provided a map of where the grave is.

Whilst sometimes City Road staff are helpful, the wife called in for a look up to see who else was in a family grave, they quoted her £18 pounds for a look up and couldn't do it straight away.

I too have been quoted £18 for looking for records in Sheffield.Not had the same experience anywhere else just advice and help often giving me information beyond what I'd asked.

I do think however at City Rd it depends who replies to your queries.I seem to get the same person who appears to have been there a while and grudgingly gives the barest of information and threatens the £18 for anymore information.

The Sheffield Archives hold all the Burial Records too but they are on Microfilm and in this digital age very cumbersome and difficult to read.

What's his name and what was his age? I could look on the National Burial Index and a Sheffield Church Yard Burials CD from Sheffield and District Family History Society.

Thanks to Border Reiver for taking time out to help me but unfortunately I am back to square one.

I shall continue searching the records but if anyone else comes across the burial of David Timmins, he died aged 78 yrs in the Dec Quarter of 1921 in the Sheffield Union Workhouse Fir Vale.

But where is the mystery.

Happy Days!

This family appears to have lived in Handsworth. I would be looking at cemeteries/graveyards on that side of the city.

If you pm Tuppie she may be able to help. She has recently been transcribing records for St Mary's Handsworth.

Hugh

ps The online 1901 census index lists David as 'Dana' which is liable to be confusing.

Archived