Cannot find Great Grandad's grave can anyone advise

PopT

retep and histreal - that's a bad and sad story. I had the total opposite experience.

Last year I visited Abbey Lane cemetery to find my Uncle and Grandmother's grave. I had never been there before and had no idea where to look. I was surprised that there was no office for such a large site and not even a board with contact details

A very kind cemetery worker assisted me and even called the administration office to find the details of the grave. He then accompanied me to find the grave and, when I went off to buy flowers (again - surprised there was no flower stall - what ever happened to enterprise!!), he cleaned the grave site and cut the grass!! He refused to take a small gratuity for his assistance as 'we are not allowed'.

As I have previously posted on this site - the saddest thing was the state of the cemetery in general - so many of the graves in dis-repair, with fallen headstones and cracked cement - looked like a third world country!!

retep and histreal - that's a bad and sad story. I had the total opposite experience.

Last year I visited Abbey Lane cemetery to find my Uncle and Grandmother's grave. I had never been there before and had no idea where to look. I was surprised that there was no office for such a large site and not even a board with contact details

A very kind cemetery worker assisted me and even called the administration office to find the details of the grave. He then accompanied me to find the grave and, when I went off to buy flowers (again - surprised there was no flower stall - what ever happened to enterprise!!), he cleaned the grave site and cut the grass!! He refused to take a small gratuity for his assistance as 'we are not allowed'.

As I have previously posted on this site - the saddest thing was the state of the cemetery in general - so many of the graves in dis-repair, with fallen headstones and cracked cement - looked like a third world country!![/QUOTE]

And nearly all caused by staff and the ridiculous health and safety regulations, if they cant push them over they snap em off in the attempt.

Some years ago my wife typed out scores of records of transcriptions from the gravestones at Burngreave Cemetery. I'm almost certain that these eventually were given the the Sheffield Family History Society.

A number were recorded on a Apple 16k Computer on 5.25" floppy disk.

I'm almost sure that we have some somewhere.

Does someone have any idea how these records could be converted onto todays media, bearing in mind that the old Apple 16k format was 72 TPI against 80TPI used by the more recent floppy disk.

I believe the word processing programme used was ' Format-80 '.

Hi Albert.

Quite a few people worked on the MI transcription for Burngreave cemetery.....the records are available on a number of fiche from the S&DFHS, they are also available at the archives as typed transcripts, we are hoping to transfer them to disc in the near future.

Kind Regards

Tuppie

Hi Albert.

Quite a few people worked on the MI transcription for Burngreave cemetery.....the records are available on a number of fiche from the S&DFHS, they are also available at the archives as typed transcripts, we are hoping to transfer them to disc in the near future.

Kind Regards

Tuppie

For my personal interest:- Do you know if the the Fiches being transfered using a ' Eye Com Scanner Reader ? '.

Hi Albert.

I am using an Eyecom "Imagemouse" digital retrieval system....to scan to my computer.....some of the results are very poor....but I put that down to the fact that carbon copies were used for the index.

Where they cannot be read...it is back to the old fiche reader.

Tuppie

retep

In no way do I blame cemetery workers - they have a tough job and not a high level of pay.

My understanding is that the Sheffield Cemeteries are grossly under-funded. I think there was 68,000 pounds for so called 'special works' outside of general maintenance. This was to be spread across many cemetries (can't remember the exact number!). The bottom line is that the state of Sheffield cemetries (and Yorkshire cemeteries generally?) is way below generally accepted standards (I have travelled widely and never seen anything as bad as this!!).

I guess this comes back to voters and lobbying your counsellors and members of Parliament.

Would like to think there was some improvement before I return next year with my Aunt's ashes!!

Hi Albert.

I am using an Eyecom "Imagemouse" digital retrieval system....to scan to my computer.....some of the results are very poor....but I put that down to the fact that carbon copies were used for the index.

Where they cannot be read...it is back to the old fiche reader.

Tuppie

I thought of buying a Imagemouse about fifteen/twenty years ago. I believe that I've still got a copy of the set up programme for it.

In the early 1970s, my wife use to type the Burngreave Records, initially using a typewriter from a tape recording of the grave stone inscriptions recorded by a man, who I believe lived at Hillsbrorough. Later she went up market using a Dictaphone then eventually using our late son's, Apple 16K Computer with the Format-80 Word-Processor.

By them being printed on a dot matrix Epsom-FX-80 Printer it may account for them appearing as ' Carbon Copies '. Though someone else more knowledgeable than I am could explain how the characters on the FX-80 are generated on a 9*9 bit-map printer.

Later, I believe she used our HP-LaserJet-III in the early 90s to print them, though I'm not certain of that.

I've still got the Epsom FX-80 Printer. So if you'd like me to print a brief copy for you to read on the imagemouse to see how it goes, let me know. Though that depends if I've got a ribbon in working order - It may well have dried out.

Hi PopT

Great Grandad is buried in Burngreave Cemetery.

Entry in burial register # 104897

David TIMMINS aged 78, Iron Worker, 2 Smilter Lane interred 10th Dec 1921 in section B4 grave number 57. Consecrated.

This is listed as a common grave and the other burials took place between 1891-1942, these are the other names.

Maud Mary ****lyn aged 4 years 1891

George Carlton Denton aged 2m 1905

Margaret Harrison 1913

Leslie Greathead 1942

Kind Regards

Tuppie

Archived