Cannot find Great Grandad's grave can anyone advise

PopT

Tuppie

Thankyou very much, finding his last resting place means a lot to me, not just another piece of information for my family research.

As with such a lot of other families I cannot understand how he came to be in the workhouse when he had brought up such a large family who all lived and worked in Sheffield.

I know we cannot turn the clock back but he seems to have been abandoned by his decendants, I was told he cried like a child when they took him in.

I wish to also thank everyone who has tried to help me, you Sheffield Forummers are remarkably generous in helping people out.

I only hope I can help some of you in the future

PopT

Tuppie

Thankyou very much, finding his last resting place means a lot to me, not just another piece of information for my family research.

As with such a lot of other families I cannot understand how he came to be in the workhouse when he had brought up such a large family who all lived and worked in Sheffield.

I know we cannot turn the clock back but he seems to have been abandoned by his decendants, I was told he cried like a child when they took him in.

I wish to also thank everyone who has tried to help me, you Sheffield Forummers are remarkably generous in helping people out.

I only hope I can help some of you in the future

PopT

I haven't for got that meal we are going to have!!!.

Hi Tuppie

We also have tried City Road with no success all we want to know is who is in these graves we would be grateful for any help.

44816 date January 9th 1937 Tinsley Park Cemetery Ja 112

54115 date August 21st. 1937 Tinsley Park Cemetery S 53

Thank You

Tinsley Park Cemetery

Grave JA112

[name/date of burial/age/description/address or place where death occurred/parish or township/grave]

MAW George 3 Mar 1923 79 moulder 251 Bright St Sheffield A112gp

MAW Mary 1 Aug 1929 78 widow 12 Herries Rd/251 Bright St Sheffield JA112gp

WEST Florence 12 Jan 1937 28 wife of George 13 Hyacinth Rd Sheffield JA112gp

CHAMBERLAIN Eliza 24 Oct 1900 30 wife of Francis William 1ct2h Weedon St Attercliffe JA112nc

MAW Harry 12 Sep 1909 32 coremaker 251 Bright St Carbrook JA112nc

gp=general portion nc=non consecrated which mean the same thing - they were probably non-conformists.

Hugh

I have found grave S53 at Tinsley Park, but there isn't a burial corresponding to that date. There are 6 burials with the following surnames:JAMES, JOHNSON, POWELL, ROBINSON, WHITTINGTON

Is it possible that the '3' is actually a 'c' (for consecrated)?

An Emily MILLER was buried in S5c on 23 Aug 1937 (people called PEACOCK also in this grave - all with address 88 Carbrook St).

Hugh

Thank You Hugh, We have been trying hard to find this information. My mother died age 89 in May and I found 4 grave certificates in her papers. We have erected headstones on 2 of them to remember the family. We could not however discover other than my mothers sister Florrie who else was in the plot. The certificate is in the name of her sister, the last time the grave was used. the 1923/1929 are my great grandparents. I will check my family history to find who the other 2 are. I need to check if ownership can be transferred to me.

We are really greatful to you.

Marie

Dear Hugh,

Again thank you so much.The certificate for S 53 Cons. No. 54115 is in the name of Alice Johnson, my grandmothers sister. My mothers brother Alfred Powell died age 23 years,

17th.August 1939 and this certificate is for the Right of Interment in a purchased reopened grave,record number 54115 - 28616 I think he was the last in. Alice´s son Fred Johnson died young. no date? Alice remarried a Whittington and died? The other names we will investigate. My sister has asked for the plot to be marked.

Many thanks

Marie

Hi.

The following are interred in grave S53C Tinsley Park.

Surnam/Forename/Date of Burial/Relation/Address/plot

JAMES Maude 29 Sep 1927 27 wife of Wilfred 12 Herries Rd/353 Greenland Rd Sheffield S53c

JOHNSON Fred 4 Mar 1939 53 gas maker City Gen Hosp / 30 Dickinson R Sheffield S53c

JOHNSON Irene 24 Apr 1929 16 dau of Fred 23 Eben St -killed Woolley Wood Sheffield S53c

POWELL Alfred 24 Aug 1939 23 milk roundsman 11/3 Bright St Sheffield S53c

ROBINSON Edith 5 Feb 1909 4 dau of William henry 162 Carbrook St Carbrook S53c

WHITTINGTON Alice 19 Jul 1963 74 housewife 23 Eben St/Firvale Infirmary Sheffield S53c

P.S. 12 Herries Road was the Northern General Hospital or possibly still Firvale Infirmary then.

Regards

Tuppie

Archived