Anyone been in Roebuck now it's re-opened?

Shazine

So, can we legitimately regard the Roebuck as a 'Gay' Pub? It has certainly been openly Gay-Friendly for years, but so, in my opinion, have several others, such as the Penny Black, the Rutland, the Queens Head, The Sanctuary, Ruskins, Takapuna, The Lounge, etc. etc....

The real acid test of arriving on the Gay Scene of Sheffield would be to have a regular Drag spot once a week (Hint, hint!). Drag is also immensely popular with 'Straight' people and youngsters such as students too.

Any takers?

not forgetting The Cannon, Hen & Chickens and Market Tavern..

Forgot to ask - are the food times / menu still the same?

The menu has been revamped with some new meals on and the food times are the same at the moment but will be extending to 9pm - Monday to Thursday, Friday and Saturday 6pm I think and the same on Sunday as before. Not sure when this will take place though.

So, can we legitimately regard the Roebuck as a 'Gay' Pub? It has certainly been openly Gay-Friendly for years, but so, in my opinion, have several others, such as the Penny Black, the Rutland, the Queens Head, The Sanctuary, Ruskins, Takapuna, The Lounge, etc. etc....

The real acid test of arriving on the Gay Scene of Sheffield would be to have a regular Drag spot once a week (Hint, hint!). Drag is also immensely popular with 'Straight' people and youngsters such as students too.

Any takers?

No the Roebuck is definitely not a "gay pub", it is just the same as before "gay friendly". :)

• 1 month later...

Well we finally got round to going back to the Roebuck on Sunday and I must say they have made a nice job. Not too much has changed but it has a nice new fresh and comfy feel.

The outside alterations weren't as extensive as expected but still an improvement (including patio heating) and the inside still retains its town centre boozer feel but is now smarter and comfier.

Oh and of course the Pedigree is still quite acceptable. :thumbsup:

So, we called in again tonight for tea (along with two or three other Forum types) only to find that they had no electricity because some cowboy contracters outside had cut through the cables! :o

To be honest we quite enjoyed having a few pints by candlelight and it was a bit of a dissapointment when the lights came back on! They didn't bother resuming food again afterwards but that was fair enough and we will be trying again next week! Or probably before... :)

(Oh, and at least the Roebuck had an excuse for not serving food tonight unlike The Museum where we went afterwards who had stopped serving because the 'chef' had "gone home". Yeah, thanks... :rant:)

Overall, I'm liking the Roebuck - there aren't many pubs like it left in town.

Archived