New Broomhill Cafe - Cream

Bojolo

As for Mooch on Whitam Rd, went there last week on Sunday and they don't open. Went again on Weds and it was 'closed due to building work' apparently. Looked like there was naff all going on inside to me! Given they don't seem to open on Sundays, could they not have done the work then...?

Unless I'm much mistaken, most things in Broomhill are closed on Sundays (with the exception of a few cafes/takeaways and, of course, Somerfield). I don't think it's fair to judge them based on this. I still haven't been, but am looking forward to going and having a look around soon...

I think it's really nice and will go again. Good luck to them. I haven't eaten there yet so can't comment on the food, but would only moan about prices if it wasn't worth it. The market will ultimately determine the right prices.

Service was quite slow although it wasn't that busy, but maybe that'll improve with practice. It's good that people with pushchairs can get in and move around easily, those without also have the option of the upstairs area. The big windows are great for noseying at the people and traffic passing by in the cold.

I would think most people are pretty glad the eyesore of the drycleaners has gone from the most prominent retail position in Broomhill. I reluctantly go to a drycleaners (whichever one is convenient) about every 4 months but never set foot in the Broomhill one - they don't need to be on every high street as they are in supermarkets etc these days. Coffee shops do need to be in prominent high street locations to catch the passing custom.

I would think most people are pretty glad the eyesore of the drycleaners has gone from the most prominent retail position in Broomhill. I reluctantly go to a drycleaners (whichever one is convenient) about every 4 months but never set foot in the Broomhill one - they don't need to be on every high street as they are in supermarkets etc these days. Coffee shops do need to be in prominent high street locations to catch the passing custom.

Do areas like Broomhill not need services like that? They give an area as much character as endless coffee shops (independent or otherwise). A viable community needs services, companies like Abbey Glen (with whom I have no connection) I would suspect also paid their staff more and retained them for longer than a coffee shop would. Independent small businesses, providing mundane services, unattractive or not have as a much a place in the community and local economy as coffee shops, cafes etc. do. There is now more choice in terms of coffee shops, if that were needed but less diversity of services. In it's previosu state it was not entirely attractive but it was functional and I think to a point the service it offered had a real value too.

In many ways those kinds of businesses are victims of the expansion of supermarkets but people aren't prepared to be precious about them and don't mourn their passing seeing their demise as an improvement to the 'High Street' but in the long run as the diversity of shops and services declines what replaces that? Endless similar cafes, bars, takeaways etc.? Would that really be an improvement?

Unless I'm much mistaken, most things in Broomhill are closed on Sundays (with the exception of a few cafes/takeaways and, of course, Somerfield). I don't think it's fair to judge them based on this. I still haven't been, but am looking forward to going and having a look around soon...

I completely understand them not opening on Sundays, and was only half expecting them to be open - my point was, why close on a day you're normally open to do building work when you could do it on the day you're closed anyway. I'm sure there was a good reason for it, just seems an unnecessary loss of a days trading, and gives the impression that it has fairly ad hoc opening hours (none were advertised when I went there). Not ideal for a new business, but I wouldn't judge them for it, and it hasn't stopped me going back since. Not my cup of tea though, but nice stuff if you like that kind of thing.

Having tried it again yesterday afternoon I was even less impressed, coffee was cold and flavourless, no head on the espresso. Unnecessarily required to nominate the table we were going to sit at and give the staff the table number. When I queried why the slice of cake I had cost £3.10 the waitress explained that it was because "it used to be on menu and come with ice cream and cream and things and now it doesn't". I suggested that the price was a little steep, particularly as it really was not that nice, she shrugged, looked awkward and left.

Confused, I was, satisfied that I won't return, definitely.

Its seem mrs mills is very hard to please in many ways after reviewing all her posts?

As a frequent visitor I've noticed Cream is becoming more and more popular, especially with groups of mums, so they must be doing something right.

I've also noticed the menu changing incorporating seasonal produce.

I'm always very happy with my coffee, which is normally made and served by the same man. He takes real pride in offering good service and a great drink. The continental breakfast was also very nice and refreshing to see they are now offering a vegetarian option.

I would urge people to try Cream and then post an opinion.

Mrs.Mills is not difficult to please, Mrs.Mills just thinks people ought to do their jobs properly and professionally and would never be faint or reluctant with praise where it's due, I promise! There are many fine restaurants, eateries, cafes and bars in Sheffield but, in my opinion, Cream is not one of them. The problem is that Mrs. Mills does not like parting with pennies for something she could do better herself, or for somethnig which is done incorrectly and is frankly bad. Never let is be said Mrs. Mills is difficult to please!

Archived