SHEFFIELD...Cask Ale Heaven

goldenfleece

Yes it does appear that we are in Cask Ale Heaven in Sheffield these days.....more real ales per square mile than you can possibly ever hope to drink in a week!!!!! Even on WEST STREET and that I thought would never happen! Even the student Unions have taken off some of their continuous rows of keg lagers and added some handpulls........glad to see it!

I see more and more people now ditching the fizzy bland stuff (Lager) and drinking cask ale like it was going out of fashion....which it isn't........so different from 10 years ago, when to find a decent real ale you needed a map and a good pair of walking boots......

http://dove.hippieboy.imap.cc/camra.jpg

http://dove.hippieboy.imap.cc/dovecask.jpg

As part of the continuing relationship between the Devonshire Arms, Ecclesall Rd and The Sheffield Brewery Company, we are having a ' Meet the brewer ' This Wednesday the 12th of September at 8.30 pm.

The beers available will be Five Rivers 3.8%abv, Seven Hills 4.2%abv and the new continental style hand pull lager style beer, Blanco Blonde 4.2%abv.

Please support this small local brewery by attending if you have time and would like to chat to the brewer regarding the process of making beer or any other questions that you may have for him.

http://devonshirearms.thebigmenu.co.uk/

The new beer they are making, Blanco Blonde will be £1 a pint until its gone!

There will also be chance to do the Sheffield quiz and maybe win some prizes!

Starts at 8.30pm, Wed 12th September.

Yes it does appear that we are in Cask Ale Heaven in Sheffield these days.....more real ales per square mile than you can possibly ever hope to drink in a week!!!!! Even on WEST STREET ]

What cask ale is there on West St these days then?

I know Muse usually has a handpump, plus the Swim Inn, maybe West St Live - is there anywhere else now? I rarely if ever go in those places that used to be proper pubs but now aren't (Beehive, Hallamshire et al) or the likes of Reflex, Westways.

How is the Shakespeare (near West Bar) getting on since its refurb and cask ale arriving - anyone been recently? I went once a few weeks ago and thought it was really good. It was virtually empty though so maybe it's not doing so well.

Muse is the only pub on actual West Street with real ale. However just off West Street you will stumble on the likes of the Dog & Partridge, Grapes, Red Deer, Bath Hotel and Swim Inn.

Also nearby is the Washington, Devonshire Cat, Forum, Frog & Parrot, Waterworks Co, Benjaman Huntsman and Sportsman.

Elsewhere in the city centre flying the real ale flag is the Old Queens Head, Red Lion, Rutland, Lord Nelson, Nelson Rock Bar, Graduate, Ruskins, Bankers Draft, Dove & Rainbow, Wig & Pen, Three Tuns, Three Cranes, Roebuck, Fagans, Museum and one or two others as well.

We've got the 'Valley of Beer' between town and Hillsborough with the Shakespeare, Ship, Wellington, Fat Cat, Milestone, Kelham Island Tavern, Harlequin, Riverside, Gardeners Rest, New Barrack Tavern, Hillsborough Hotel, Moon and Rawson Spring along with Kelham Island Brewery and Sheffield Brewery.

There's also a number of great real ale pubs in other parts of Sheffield too, such as the Sheaf View at Heeley, Commercial at Chapeltown and Rising Sun at Nether Green to name but 3.

It's also good to see there are many different styles of pub/bar/venue with real ale too, including the traditional local pub, the real ale showcase bar, the smart city bar, live music venues, bars that host club nights and gastropubs.

It's clearly getting recognised more and more that if it's quality British beer you want, then real cask conditioned ale is the answer.

Andy - is there any chance someone will put all that info on a decent website with photos one day? I'm always having to explain where these places are in order to direct visitors to the good pubs in the city centre (which is probably where all tourists go at least for part of their visit).

I don't think it would hit sales of the Good Beer Guide book too badly. All the pub guides on the web that I've seen (apart from fancyapint.com in London) seem to be a bit rubbish. We need to promote all this activity much more as a great plus for Sheffield - a tourist attraction even.

Andy - is there any chance someone will put all that info on a decent website with photos one day? I'm always having to explain where these places are in order to direct visitors to the good pubs in the city centre (which is probably where all tourists go at least for part of their visit).

I don't think it would hit sales of the Good Beer Guide book too badly. All the pub guides on the web that I've seen (apart from fancyapint.com in London) seem to be a bit rubbish. We need to promote all this activity much more as a great plus for Sheffield - a tourist attraction even.

Yes, a city centre pub guide is something I've been meaning to write for the Sheffield CAMRA website for ages. There's a guide of sorts, but it's not really good enough. Someone else is taking over the website soon and it will be relaunched in due course, maybe then inbetween writing Beer Matters I will find time to write the guide!

I went along to the Meet the Brewer evening the other night - had a great night with the new blanco beer going down very well & great chatting to Tim, Pat and Eddy from the Brewery/Gardeners Rest.

I was searching online for something pub related and I found a couple of forums with people (not locals) talking about going to visit sheffield as one of the great if not greatest real ale trails in the county (ie world).

I've constantly been impressed by the quality of the beer here - every time I go out there are new beers like these from Sheffield Brewery Company, well kept local classics like Moonshine, Farmers etc, good pubs all over the place!

Archived