Old Sheffield Picture Palaces

Quite right - the Roscoe was at the beginning of Infirmary Road near the bottom of Hoyle Street; the Shalesmoor tram stop is there now. The Roscoe survived until about the early 1980s as a bingo hall.

old cinemas 1940/60s

star cinema eccleshall rd

greystones

abbeydale abbeydale rd

heeley coliseum chesterfield rd

heeley palace chesterfield rd

heeley green gleadless rd

woodseats palace chesterfield rd

chantrey woodseats chesterfield rd

carleton arborthorne

park palace south street

norfolk duke street

manor

rex intake

news theatre fitzallen square

wicker

darnall cinema

lyric

balfour

plaza hansworth

forum

hillsborough cinema

hillsborough kinema

hillsborough pheonix

hillsborough park cinema

sunbeam barnsley rd

coliseum spital hill

victory upwell st

crookes palace

walkley paladium south rd

scala brook hill

weston st philips rd

don west bar

roscoe

roxy page hall

oxford oxford st

globe attercliffe

cinema house barkers pool

gaumont barkers pool

hippodrome cambridge st

palace union st

essoldo lane top

ritz parsons cross]

unity langset rd

Minor point, but I think that you'll find that the Heeley Coliseum and Palace were actually on London Road.

An impressive list willybite, but where is the Coliseum, Spital Hill? I remember the list of cinemas over the front page of the 'Star', and what they were showing, back in the '40's. The 'Weston' was never listed, don't know why. And the 'Victory' on Upwell Street, I'd forgotten about that one.

hiya texas

willybite here. here is the answer to your question as why the weston wasn't listed in the star cinemas page it was they had a select set of customers, when i was a young lad my mother and gran took me to the weston tues, sat, hippodrome monday, empire some friday's, in between i would go to the star saturday afternoon it would cost about 2/6 ( 12.5p) for my four visits in the 40s

ps i dont like saying this about a very dear old friend but if it was open today you would wipe your feet before you came out ha ha ha

when you went to the weston it was advisable to take a shovel with you to clean up the horse muck if you had to sit on the front row reason was they had so many cowboy films on show there, ha ha

Edited by willybite

An impressive list willybite, but where is the Coliseum, Spital Hill? I remember the list of cinemas over the front page of the 'Star', and what they were showing, back in the '40's. The 'Weston' was never listed, don't know why. And the 'Victory' on Upwell Street, I'd forgotten about that one.

hiya texas

willybite here here is the answer to your question as why the weston wasn't listed in the star cinemas page was they had a select set of customer when i was a young lad my mother and gran took me to the weston tues, sat, hippodrome monday, empire some friday's, in between i would go to the star saturday afternoon it would cost about 2/6 ( 12.5p) for my four visitsin the 40s

I never went there myself. I remember when I first saw it though. A gang of us from Pitsmoor had been up Weston Park one Sunday, and decided we'd walk back via St Philips area. It was really strange territory for us but there was about nine of us so we felt safe.

On our way down we passed the Weston, none of us knew it exsisted.

hi willybite - impressive list - what about the pavilion attercliffe - regular haunt when hammer house of horror films where shown - later began to show asian/indian films - we also had one known locally as the flea pit (walked in rode out!!) but can't remember the name, seems to think it was the globe, or it could have been the one on upwell st.

did the news theatre fitzalan square become the classic as the mother in law was an usherette/cum cashier at the classic? -

The Netto used to be called the Hillsbough Cinema if u look off the rear car park Its still written on the wall. the Kinama was somewhere near the Blockbuster Vidio shop.[may be the other way round not sure??]

The Netto used to be called the Hillsbough Cinema if u look off the rear car park Its still written on the wall. the Kinama was somewhere near the Blockbuster Vidio shop.[may be the other way round not sure??]

The Kinema was on Proctor Place approximately where the ramp is for the car park (or opposite Co-op doors).

It's interesting to note that none of these cinemas, even the later ABC and Odeon were designed (as far as I can remember) with any sort of car park, although there might have been some small area for the staff. I wonder what they did with the expensive projection equipment after closure.

Edited by carosio

I used to live in the Summer St area and apart from the digusting "bug hut" there was the Scala, which was on Winter St, now University Area. There was the Walkley Palladium, which was considered a "cut above the rest" as far as we were conserned. There was also a picture house in Upperthorpe, can't just remember the name.