Old Sheffield Picture Palaces

Anyone remember the Tudor . I think it was on Ecclesall Road .

---------- Post added 29-12-2012 at 14:36 ----------

There was also the Oxford on Oxford street , Upperthorpe .

And . Please, don't forget the" ROSCOE " , or bug hut as it was known. The tanna rush was the the highlight for us kids on a Saturday afternoon for us kids .

The two cinemas' in Barkers Pool - Gaumont and the cinema . The Kinema at Hillsborough . The Esseldo's at Lane top and at Southey green and , the "Upperthorpe" at the top of Wood Street , on Langset Road .The Wicker - insitu- was renown for a " touch- up " from the purves .We used to go in two's and three' s for safety .

The cinema at the top of Wood Street/Langsett Road was called The Unity.

there was a cinema at darnall called the lyric also picture house at bottom of staniforth road called the regal now a furniture shop

Yes - just so. The Lyric was at some point owned by Star Cinemas, they went bust, but you're forgetting the Balfour on the corner of Staniforth Road and Balfour Road. It still exists, but as Balfour Carpets. I did relief projectionist work there for a period during the mid-1950s.

MikeX

Yes - just so. The Lyric was at some point owned by Star Cinemas, they went bust, but you're forgetting the Balfour on the corner of Staniforth Road and Balfour Road. It still exists, but as Balfour Carpets. I did relief projectionist work there for a period during the mid-1950s.

MikeX

I've not kept up with this post but I think you might have forgot the greatest cinema of all the Darnall cinema, the home of Roy Rogers, Gene Autrey and an host of great cowboys. The Balfour as you say is a carpet shop but you can still see the original cinema ceiling, it was once called the Darnall picture house.

Old Netto (now Asda) on south road walkley, used to be a cinema in the 50's I think. My mum and dad said it was called the Walkey Paladium,

when I was young there was a full page of pictures in the star and when i used to go up town to the pictures on Saturday nightb with my mates from school we had to pick a few cinema's out because they were always full, we often had to go to our third choice.

when I was young there was a full page of pictures in the star and when i used to go up town to the pictures on Saturday nightb with my mates from school we had to pick a few cinema's out because they were always full, we often had to go to our third choice.

Well, that's interesting. There were (are) two cinemas built to the same design (because they belonged originally to the same owner). The Palladium at Walkley was one, the Adelphi at Attercliffe was the other. This latter building still stands on Vicar Lane, clearly visible as you drive past.

I believe that the buildings are listed, meaning that their appearance cannot be materially changed. Hope that ASDA haven't cocked up the Palladium...

MikeX

• 4 months later...

When I was a girl there were 51 cinemas in Sheffield I once counted them. the listing used to fill a page in the Star. Oddest one to my mind was the one at Heeley Green, it was really weird.. One of my favourites was the tiny Heeley Coliseum on London Rd at Queens Rd and the oddball lanky commissionaire. There was another a few yards up nearer the bridge... But the name has gone from my memory. The nicest looking interior of all was the Hippodrome on Cambridge St.. It was once a theatre The act #s stand was still at the side of the stage.. We kids during the war always went in the Gods it was 3d...

BTW I'm back after being AWOL for several years

Reason I'm back I saw some misnomers about the Wardley family of 6 brothers and their off springs from Woodseats who were dealers and furniture movers I have to put that part of Sheffield History right. My book about them as poor kids is in the archives at the Central library and was recently used at the Montgomery Hall in at 200 year History play called Sheffield Song... Cheers to all from Ontario ex pat Ann Wardley neeWardley from Abbey Lane and Banner Cross born at Highfields

The cinema at the top of Wood Street/Langsett Road was called The Unity.

saw my one and only silent film there plus ALL but one of films I ever saw in Sheffield, mind u 1950 not a lot going on the screen but raw sex in the back seats on a sat night WOW:suspect::suspect:

When I was a girl there were 51 cinemas in Sheffield I once counted them. the listing used to fill a page in the Star. Oddest one to my mind was the one at Heeley Green, it was really weird.. One of my favourites was the tiny Heeley Coliseum on London Rd at Queens Rd and the oddball lanky commissionaire. There was another a few yards up nearer the bridge... But the name has gone from my memory. The nicest looking interior of all was the Hippodrome on Cambridge St.. It was once a theatre The act #s stand was still at the side of the stage.. We kids during the war always went in the Gods it was 3d...

BTW I'm back after being AWOL for several years

Reason I'm back I saw some misnomers about the Wardley family of 6 brothers and their off springs from Woodseats who were dealers and furniture movers I have to put that part of Sheffield History right. My book about them as poor kids is in the archives at the Central library and was recently used at the Montgomery Hall in at 200 year History play called Sheffield Song... Cheers to all from Ontario ex pat Ann Wardley neeWardley from Abbey Lane and Banner Cross born at Highfields

Electric Palace?

Or something similar. My books aren't with me, so I'm guessing.