Old Sheffield Picture Palaces

Hi, just for information, the Ritz on Wordsworth Avenue is no more it's completely flattend, this happend recently and I watched it disappear during my visits to watch Sheffield Wednesday, for me this cinema is where I was brought up, I can still see the chap in the wheel chair outside when I am on a nostalgia trip RIP The Ritz.

When I was a girl there were 51 cinemas in Sheffield I once counted them. the listing used to fill a page in the Star. Oddest one to my mind was the one at Heeley Green, it was really weird..

For a while, I lived close by and it was my local.

Never thought of it as "weird", although there were old time theatre boxes on the side if you paid extra, which my gramma often did.

What did you find weird about it?

I hear the Tesco on Herries road used to be a old picture house.

the picture house where the tesco is was called the forum

---------- Post added 10-05-2013 at 14:17 ----------

Am I right in saying that the Netto on MIddlewood road used to be a cinema?

I'm sure my gran has mentioned it before.

it is not the netto now it is asda and it used to be hillsbrough kinema

Hi, just for information, the Ritz on Wordsworth Avenue is no more it's completely flattend, this happend recently and I watched it disappear during my visits to watch Sheffield Wednesday, for me this cinema is where I was brought up, I can still see the chap in the wheel chair outside when I am on a nostalgia trip RIP The Ritz.

Is that what used to be called the " Eseldo" ?

It's interesting to note that Tesco ,Asda and all the rest of the supermarkets are using all that is regenerated .

Use your local butcher . You may pay a little more but you won't get ill .

the picture house where the tesco is was called the forum

---------- Post added 10-05-2013 at 14:17 ----------

it is not the netto now it is asda and it used to be hillsbrough kinema

Sorry Val it was the Hilsboro Park Cinema.

Just for info. The Forum was normally classed as at Southey Green and was part of the Essoldo group with the Capital at Lane Top and the one at Ecclesfield.

The last time I saw the Forum about 15 years ago, it had been replaced by a supermarket.

Worked there 50/51 in the projection box, anyone remember the horse races on stage?

the forum was on herries road the shirecliffe siide the other side was longley lived at the side of forum the bottom of our garden was at the forum carpark.

Read (a few years ago) in the Star that it still had the old balcony.
maybe i have not been in since 1970 i met my late wife there in 1960.

---------- Post added 11-05-2013 at 13:15 ----------

The Forum was mine and jasper12 stamping ground when we were kids.

• 5 months later...
There was The Star at the bottom of Eccy Road (site of petrol station)

There's a building at Broomhill which looks like a cinema, the S10 Gallery/Cafe. Was that a cinema?

There was an old cinema at the bottom of Western Bank next to the Chemistry building until the late 60s. A car park attendants hut is on it now...entrance to Uni Arts Tower from Western Bank. I think this was probably originally on the corner of Winter Street, which was re-routed in the 1950's(?)

hiya on another thread with the same heading in the 40/50, I can name 50 cinemas and there were a few more that I missed, when there were no t v and beer was 11d per pint, the cinema `was the only place to go. I remember it was 1s = 5p today in gods at hippodrome , 1/6 =7 1/2ptoday

circle was 2/6d 10,1/2p today. the scala was the cinema facing the top of Hounsfield rd. during the 2nd w.w we went my nan,mum, and me went 3 times tut pictures Monday was hippodrome, wednesday, Saturday was the weston.

Edited by willybite

I have a list of them,

Darnall Lyric

Regal on Staniforth Road ( Attercliffe end )

Oxford at Upperthorpe

Don on West Bar Green

The Weston (bug hut ) ( you used to come out of there feeling really "alive" )

The Scala (at the end of the road where the Arts tower is today)

The Palace Union Street

The Hipperdrome

Star cinema on Ecclesall Road

There was one on South Road Walkley I think it was called The Palace but am not sure, but I have a feeling someone will know and post the correct answer

this site certainly gets your mind in gear, lol

deecee

the one on south road was called the walkley palladium also parkcinema on middlewood road the kinema in hillsborough the pheonix on langsett rd and the unity on infirmary road ..