Old Sheffield Picture Palaces

the one on south road was called the walkley palladium also parkcinema on middlewood road the kinema in hillsborough the pheonix on langsett rd and the unity on infirmary road ..

Yes . Remember all those .

We used to refer to the " Roscoe " at Shalesmoor as " The Bug Hut ".

Many's the time we spent queueing for the "Tanner rush" on a Saturday morning to watch The Three stuges or Gene Autry , Roy Rodgers etc. etc. .

the one on south road was called the walkley palladium also parkcinema on middlewood road the kinema in hillsborough the pheonix on langsett rd and the unity on infirmary road ..

Park Cinema on Middlewood Road? I used to go to the Park cinema on South Street. were there 2 cinemas with the same name?

Full name was Hillsboro' Park Cinema, now Asda.

That explains it carosio. The one at the bottom of South St was just called the Park Cinema, presumably in reference to the district in which it was located. Used to be a rumor that there were rats in there but we didn't take any notice.

Willybite probably meant the Phoenix, but I seem to recall reading about a very early cinema near to the Jet station on Bradfield Rd.

now I read you're letter there might have been four.

---------- Post added 03-11-2013 at 20:04 ----------

Park Cinema on Middlewood Road? I used to go to the Park cinema on South Street. were there 2 cinemas with the same name?

I think the letter you quoted had a comma missing.

---------- Post added 03-11-2013 at 20:37 ----------

there was a cinema at darnall called the lyric also picture house at bottom of staniforth road called the regal now a furniture shop

you forgot the little dick, the darnall cinema.

HERE ARE ONE OR TWO MORE

greystones palace.

wicker.

colliseum spital hill.

crooks palace.

manor.manor top

Norfolk.duke st

carlton.arberthorne

regent.barkers pool

roxy.page hall.

rex intake

palace barkers pool