Old Sheffield Picture Palaces

I have a list of them,

Darnall Lyric

Regal on Staniforth Road ( Attercliffe end )

Oxford at Upperthorpe

Don on West Bar Green

The Weston (bug hut ) ( you used to come out of there feeling really "alive" )

The Scala (at the end of the road where the Arts tower is today)

The Palace Union Street

The Hipperdrome

Star cinema on Ecclesall Road

There was one on South Road Walkley I think it was called The Palace but am not sure, but I have a feeling someone will know and post the correct answer

this site certainly gets your mind in gear, lol

deecee

Originally posted by rainbow2411

I don't think the Globe and Pavillion are still standing but the Adelphi is, I think someone here said it was a Carpet Warehouse.

No, the adelphi is a sort of night club. My lad worked there as a barman.

PT

There was The Star at the bottom of Eccy Road (site of petrol station)

There's a building at Broomhill which looks like a cinema, the S10 Gallery/Cafe. Was that a cinema?

There was an old cinema at the bottom of Western Bank next to the Chemistry building until the late 60s. A car park attendants hut is on it now...entrance to Uni Arts Tower from Western Bank. I think this was probably originally on the corner of Winter Street, which was re-routed in the 1950's(?)

What about those two in Barkers Pool,the Cinema House was where the block of shops is below the City Hall,and directly opposite the Regent which later became the Gaumont,another block of shops,then the Palace on Union St,often called "Union St",and the Manor at the top of City Road,Not living in Sheffield I don't know what is there now

I don't remember there being a gaumont at Attercliffe, I can only remember the Attercliffe Palace, the Empire and the Adelphi.

I remember the Gaumont in Barkers pool, I thought the architecture was nice, not like that bl**dy awful monstrosity with the red scaffolding that's there now. I thought it was a shame that the old cinema building was replaced by such a "carbuncle" (!)

the Manor Picture house building (i think it was called the picture house) is now the Somerfield supermarket. it was still a cinema into about the late '60s, then became a supermarket, it has been a Challenge! and a Frank Dees before Somerfield took over.

and what about the Carlton, on Eastern Avenue?

that was finally demolished about four years ago, after becoming derelict and structurally unsound, after years of vandalism, neglect, and arson.

The carlton was architecturally significant, because it used an "innovative", and unusual type of concrete construction method, and was a rarity.

The locals who attended it called it "the Ice Box", as the bleakly exposed position on the high hillside, and the construction method combined to make it only just slightly warmer than the arctic!!!

it's now been replaced by a flats complex.

PT